New Savage Project

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

New Savage Project

Post by First Shirt »

Couple of years ago, I took delivery of a custom shop Savage Scout rifle, left-handed, 7mm-08. Affixed a Rhodesian sling and a Burris 2 3/4X LER scope, and tried really hard to wear it out in the first six months I had it. Now, several hundred rounds, a dozen or so hogs, and several deer later, it's probably my all-time favorite rifle. Doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but does just about everything pretty darned good. If I could only have one rifle, it would be this one.

Unfortunately, my #1 Senior Minion is also a left-handed shooter, and I made the mistake of letting her try it, and she's been trying to steal it ever since. (The fact that she can shoot it about as well as I can is just salt in the wound!) She's running an elderly M-11 Savage that I put together for her several years ago, and she loves it, but the scout is, according to her, DA BOMB! (I think that's good, isn't it? I'm not fluent in teenager.)

So, I got a wild hare, and decided to scouterize her rifle. Contacted a delightful customer service rep, who promptly found the parts I needed, and they are now en route. It will have the forward mounted scope, backup irons (NECG front, and William ghost ring rear) and either a Leupold 2 1/2X or a Burris 2 3/4X LER scope.

(Of course, I'll keep the original parts, in case it doesn't work out like she thinks, and it will be easy to switch back, if needed.)

As if I didn't have enough projects in the works. Remind me again, why do I have Minions, anyway?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
SoupOrMan

Re: New Savage Project

Post by SoupOrMan »

Minions = backup
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Denis

Post by Denis »

Yay, Minions! Sounds like a fun project. I picked up a LH Savage 111 in .30-06 recently for a friend, who shot his first roebuck with it a few weeks ago. Good stuff!
Precision

Post by Precision »

you have minions to keep you occupied in your wisening age.

You have minions, because otherwise you would be a free man.
free man = nothing left to lose

You have minions to justify your gun, ammo, fun budget.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I think I have Minions because winning the lottery would spoil me! And, while I grump a lot, I really don't know what I'd do without them, they keep me busy, involved, and entertained (for given values of "entertained").

So, I guess I have Minions because I'm the luckiest SOB you will ever meet!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

+1 on minions. Good on ya', First Shirt.

My main minion shares our passion for fast draw and travels with us frequently. Milady and I are traveling to Kentucky next week, for an out-of-town trip, and between schooling and football, he simply can't make the trip with us this time. It will be the first trip in two years that he hasn't made with us, and folks who know him and shoot with him are already disappointed that his name isn't on the shooters lists. He's a lot more "famous" in the CFDA community than I am.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just scored a Burris 2 3/4X LER scope on fleabay. If I can get the rail delivered and installed before the scope gets here, I should be able to get it all put together and bore-sighted before her birthday the end of this month.

I love it when a plan comes together!

(Wonder what's gonna go wrong.)
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I think it turned out pretty well. It's not really a "scout rifle" since it doesn't make weight, but it makes for a nice utility rifle, with the backup irons.

(Finally got it borrowed back just long enough to take a couple pictures. Was in such a hurry to get it back to her that I forgot!)
scout project (800x450).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

That looks really nice. Lucky Minion and well wear!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Not sure what is wrong with your camera, but you can flip that back around in Photoshop.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop