Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by Netpackrat »

Were M1 Carbine slings really supposed to attach via "Lift-The-Dot" fasteners? :o That does not seem secure, though I guess they do keep the back of my MGA's convertible top from lifting off at 100 mph.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Picture of the Model 7 project as it stands now. Tracking says the stock finally made it to Anchorage, but I still have not ordered mounting screws. Waiting to see what else I need from Brownell's first re: the scope base issues.

Candyman probably has twelve of these, but this was my first rifle which I have had since my 10th birthday. I found a spare barrel for it in really good shape on Gunbroker recently for not much money. Then I had it chopped to 17" and threaded to Silencerco spec for my Sparrow:

Minor problem due to trying to put parts together that were not previously a rifle together... Breech won't close. The breech face on the barrel needs to have about .030" faced off, the extractor cut deepened, and then the chamber reamed deeper again (since I don't want a .22 long). So it will be going back to the gunsmith soon.

I had him put the new dovetail for the front sight back a little farther than absolutely necessary, and only chop it to 17" in case the threads somehow get boogered later on and it has to be redone. I think if anything the shorter length will make it a better kids' rifle for when mine get older, and I have a second stock for it that I am going to shorten a little for that purpose. REALLY looking forward to seeing just how quiet it is with the can. Oh, and also to making my brother jealous, because he has one too, but he can't install a can on it. :mrgreen:

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:Were M1 Carbine slings really supposed to attach via "Lift-The-Dot" fasteners? :o That does not seem secure, though I guess they do keep the back of my MGA's convertible top from lifting off at 100 mph.
Don't know about the MGA (my Dad's was a coupe, not a roadster) but in sling usage the strain doesn't tend to lift the snap; it pulls 'in shear'; I think you'd have to either pull a snap out of the webbing or break the snap spring or the shaft itself for the connection to fail under that kind of load.

I wrapped one around a wire shelf brace (a little bigger than the sling swivel on an M1 but not a lot) and was pulling that rather heavy shelf off level with no sign of the snap being loosened or unduly stressed.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote:Image
Got this rifle back from the gunsmith today; breech closes nicely. He said he put his .22 can on it and tried it out back, fires and extracts fine and spent case looks OK. Only catch is OCD gunsmith buddy noted that as it was, barrel shoulder at breech end did not exactly seat against the receiver (was not enough that I noticed). This obviously could not stand, so he tigged over the barrel pin cut, relocated, and then re-drilled pin hole prior to making his cuts at the breech face. That was all well and good except now the forend won't fit without being shortened. Since that would leave a gap should I decide to install the original barrel, he left it off and that decision up to me. Fortunately I was able to find another forend on Ebay, so I will leave my original as-is. Kind of disappointed it's not quite done, but it's too cold outside to shoot right now anyway.

FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Picked up this evil thing in time to beat the "bullet-button" ban deadline.
AK.jpg
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

FelixEstrella wrote:Picked up this evil thing in time to beat the "bullet-button" ban deadline.

FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Well, sure it's not a Vz-58 .... but I have plenty of those and only one AK. Had to remedy the situation.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Any chance of moving to Free America so you can pull that monstrosity off the mag catch?

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Previously seen in the pistol picture thread; the non-California-legal lever gun:

I'll update the range report thread for this once I shoot it with the can. It's been too cold and I have been too busy lately.

FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Netpackrat wrote:Any chance of moving to Free America so you can pull that monstrosity off the mag catch?
Think about it everyday. AK, OR, WA, MT, ID are on the short list.
Blogspot
picsig