Expecting 1/2 of a set of twins.

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
g-man

Re: Expecting 1/2 of a set of twins.

Post by g-man »

Status update:

Wife's water broke Monday morning at 0330. We headed to the hospital and after an ultrasound and a consult with the on-duty OB, we were informed she won't be leaving the hospital until after she delivers. Amniotic sac that broke belongs to Baby A (non-viable twin), and B's is unaffected. As long as she doesn't spike a fever or develop other signs of infection, she'll be on in-patient bed rest for the duration. Tuesday morning was 27 weeks, and they won't let her go much past 34 now, so we're hoping she'll be there for another 6-7 weeks. My parents made it up and are taking a 2-week shift watching the kiddo, and hopefully I'll just go back to work, with the understanding that I'm on short notice to di di mao when the time comes. Her mom is planning on rotating back here in two weeks to give my parents a breather, and then they'll come back again later.

Odds are 90%+ if he were to show up right now, and only get better from here. Baby A's odds are still at 0%, so given we'll only have a short time with him/her, I plan on riding the motorcycle to work, in order to minimize transit time should I get the call while there. Between lane-splitting and hitting the shoulder if necessary, I'm sure I can cover the distance quicker than if I were stuck in a car. Doc walked her through the most likely scenarios, and all of those have on average a 2-4 hour lead time before heading to the OR, so I should be okay.

Edited to add: This has been an interesting week... in the Chinese curse sort of way.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
g-man

Post by g-man »

They ended up letting her out of the hospital to do bed rest at home. Residual risk is primarily to baby A (the non-viable twin), but she's still having to check her temperature twice daily, palpate to check for belly pain, and sit on her ass a lot. That third one is the hardest for her, because she wants to help out since she's home. Our mothers have been helpful, and are rotating in for 2-week stints taking care of the 2-year-old so I can go back to work. 30 weeks gestation today, the goal is 36 (the furthest they'll let her go).

Longer explanation here
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Denis

Post by Denis »

Best wishes to you all, especially to your wife for patience.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Sending prayers your way.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Hoping the best for you - M
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Frankingun wrote:Sending prayers your way.
+1