Army boss takes aim at bureaucracy over sidearms

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
blackeagle603

Re: Army boss takes aim at bureaucracy over sidearms

Post by blackeagle603 »

Striker fired w/ no external safety in the hands of typical military member. Not only no but oh heck no.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

So...CZ SP-01 with the decock option then?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Well if you _must_ do something all new and trendy -- sure.

Nothing wrong with a CZ-75B. :) I'm partial to Czechs, married one.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Pistols are almost never used in combat meh
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Huh, this thread ate a post that I tried to make last night.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

blackeagle603 wrote:Striker fired w/ no external safety in the hands of typical military member. Not only no but oh heck no.
No problem. SW M&P. They have a thumb safety as an option. My BIL has one. I laugh at him, but he has one.

The SW M&P is a whole lot better platform than a lot of people give them credit for. The stock trigger becomes very good after about 300 rounds, to the point where an upgrade (which you reallywant when you buy the pistol) isn't necessary after those 300 rounds. Accurate to a fault, easy to disassemble, the SW M&P was the reason that Glock came out with their Gen4 pistols.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Vonz90 wrote:Pistols are almost never used in combat meh
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
Marine 1st-Sgt. Brad Kasal, bloodied but unbowed, was being helped from house-to-house fighting in Fallouja by lance corporals Chris Marquez and Dane Shaffer. In one hand, Kasal gripped his 9-millimeter Beretta, in the other, his K-bar knife.

Now the image has been turned into a bronze sculpture by Wyoming artist John Phelps. Titled "No Man Left Behind," the sculpture was unveiled last week outside the Wounded Warrior West site at Camp Pendleton.
But when you NEED one, you damned sure want the thing to work - doncha'?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I have yet to hear of any major mechanical issues with the M9, except for the magazines (which I think has been fixed), as long as the springs are replaced at proper intervals.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
g-man

Post by g-man »

mekender wrote:
JKosprey wrote:As for the M9, I found it unremarkable. I have big hands and long fingers, so it fit me just fine, but there's nothing about it that's particularly memorable. My biggest issue is that it's really heavy considering it's only a 15 shot 9mm. That's why I'd vote for the glock 19 over the 17. Either would do the job, but the 19 will fit more troops hands while only losing 2 rounds to its big brother.
My biggest problem with the M9 is the same one that I have with the 92fs and its various knock-offs... It is basically the only main stream pistol, still in production, that has a manual safety that slides upward... So for any service members that are in the reserves or NG that have regular jobs in a PD or any number of other agencies public or private, they will almost certainly be using a pistol that has a safety that moves in the opposite direction (if they work for a place that uses pistols with safeties). Especially considering how many agencies use some form of Sig pistol with a manual safety.
Nota Bene: Press your thumb against the side of the slide above and to the rear of a M9 safety. Holding same against the slide firmly, slide down and forward, as though you are disengaging the safety of a 1911. Your thumb will catch the angled rear edge of the M9 safety, and pivot it up, thus disengaging it. Yes, the thing is designed all ass-backward, but using the same thumb motion produces identical results.

I should really post a Youtube about that at some point...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Langenator wrote:I have yet to hear of any major mechanical issues with the M9, except for the magazines (which I think has been fixed), as long as the springs are replaced at proper intervals.
Cracking slides and cracking locking blocks.