Larry Vickers is an ass...but we knew that.

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
JustinR

Larry Vickers is an ass...but we knew that.

Post by JustinR »

After reading some rather unflattering reviews of how Vickers has been conducting his 1911 smithing classes, I thought this was rather telling. H/T The Firearm Blog.
Special Forces legend and gun guru Larry Vickers got snubbed at the Ruger booth during SHOT Show 2016 and took to Facebook to slam the company for the slight.

“I stopped into the Ruger booth today to do a YouTube video on their new polymer frame striker fired pistol,” wrote Vickers. “After getting the run around we finally got handed off to a guy that a) had a chip on his shoulder and b) had no clue who I was.”

We are guessing it was point B that led to sh*t getting really real, really fast. That’s right, apparently Larry went full Witherspoon. You never go full Witherspoon. Well, maybe you do if you are Larry V getting the snub from a Ruger redshirt.

Anyway, up next:

So my crew was setting up lights and getting everything ready for filming when the Ruger employee decides a good idea to tell my crew how to do their job and put restrictions on the amount of booth space we had to use for filming – at this point I pulled the plug on the whole thing and we packed up and left. And in a blink of an eye Ruger lost a minimum of 100,000 or more views on my channel on this one product alone. You ever wonder why NO Special Operations or SWAT teams on the entire planet use anything Ruger makes ? Now you know why.

Most of Vickers’ followers subsequently supported his decision to dip and take his views with him. After all, they are his followers. He even posted a follow-up meme with a take off of the snickers “you aren’t you when you are hungry” trope that ended with a punch line involving the notorious cast of Sons of Guns which is always good for a laugh.

Ruger has not commented on the incident but we don’t foretell a Vickers Tactical Edition Ruger American Pistol any time soon.

Good thing it wasn’t the Fireclean booth.

Too soon?
And, what really made me laugh, from the comments:
I saw Larry Vickers at a grocery store in Vegas yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person and congratulated him on his successful Vickers Tactical line, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “Gonnatellmehowyoushootnow? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen snickers in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be busy and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the snickers and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any RFID 'interference',” and then turned around and winked at me. After she scanned each candy bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by STANDBY really loudly.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
First Shirt

Re: Larry Vickers is an ass...but we knew that.

Post by First Shirt »

So, you have a guy that makes really high-end 1911s, and then supplements his income by writing articles about how bad the 1911s are, and insulting the people who use them, and anyone, anywhere, is surprised that he's the north end of a southbound horse?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

“I stopped into the Ruger booth today to do a YouTube video on their new polymer frame striker fired pistol,” wrote Vickers. “After getting the run around we finally got handed off to a guy that a) had a chip on his shoulder and b) had no clue who I was.”
I don't know who he is either and I don't give a crap. Evidently, he's a Special Operations guy. Whoopde-doo.

I worked around SpecOps guys for a while and found them to be distinctly one of two types. The first type were nice guys. Funny, personable, professional, helpful to a fault. They'd laugh and drink and cut-up, seemed to enjoy life with gusto.

The second type were unrepentant assholes.They didn't give a screaming crap about anyone but themselves and whined like babies if things didn't go their way.

Thankfully, there were more of the first than of the second type. Some of the funniest guys I knew were SF team members.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
BDK

Post by BDK »

The blackest, and funniest, sense of humor, which I have ever encoubtered, belonged to an SF guy I met at a match.

He was hilarious, but in desperate need of help - which he was getting.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That's pretty douchey, but he's far from the douchiest "operator" in the training racket.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Netpackrat wrote:That's pretty douchey, but he's far from the douchiest "operator" in the training racket.
Well he hasn't shot any of his fellow instructors, challenged anyone to duels, admitted that he's a police state fascist, or claim to be a Four Weapons Combat Scientologist, but he is still pretty bad, and managed to make M4carbine.net into his own person fiefdom of asskissing.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

How exactly would one attach rails to a king size snickers bar, how much can you charge for both the product and the class, and do you deep fry them in Fireclean???
Jered

Post by Jered »

You ever wonder why NO Special Operations or SWAT teams on the entire planet use anything Ruger makes ? Now you know why.
They're doing just fine without that business, too.

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Sorry, I've been shooting for 40 years, and I was just wondering...whoinhell is Larry Snickers?
Should I have heard of him?
[/deadserious]
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Denis

Post by Denis »

You ever wonder why NO Special Operations or SWAT teams on the entire planet use anything Ruger makes ? Now you know why.
What you talkin' bout fool? The A-Team uses Ruger Minis!