FAA to Require Drone Registration

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
g-man

Re: FAA to Require Drone Registration

Post by g-man »

Steamforger wrote:3.5", #4 buck covers a range of aerial [strike]targets[/strike] opportunities effectively. Just sayin'....
So we're up to a Senior-grade officer sign-off on the CRM sheet, after mitigating actions? Still worthy of a shot in my book.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Termite

Post by Termite »

As usual, the FAA is stepping on their cranks........again.

All aircraft drones are RC aircraft, but not all RC aircraft are drones. The difference is actually pretty simple. If it's line-of-sight control only, it's an RC aircraft. If it has video linked to a HUD worn by the operator, or a display screen, and can be flown beyond line of sight, then it's also a drone.

The $49.95 RC from Toys-R-Us, weighing 3-4 oz with a 250 ft control range and 10 min battery does not need registering. It's a bloody toy.

The $4500 Quad Copter that weighs 5 lbs, with a 2 mile video/control link range and 1 hr battery life, and is taking pictures of suburbia for the ABC realty company, needs to be registered. It is also a commercial venture, with the obvious commercial rules and fees being applicable.

The fact that the FAA/DOT/etc can not see the glaring difference between the two above aircraft indicates that they have an average IQ lower than that of Mrs. Termite's Down's Syndrome patients......... :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Termite wrote:.The fact that the FAA/DOT/etc can not see the glaring difference between the two
They can, they're just using this to drag rc under they're aegis.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

"What are you doing to me!" , "We are putting a serial number on you sir.", "Why!" , "We have to register all drones."

"Oh you need tiny little hands for milking tiny little mice, Like you need tiny little license plates for bees." Larry Niven.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

And I don't want to hear any bitching from little geeks complaining about this while wondering how anyone can question registering gun owners. Not a single word.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Termite

Post by Termite »

Dub_James wrote:And I don't want to hear any bitching from little geeks complaining about this while wondering how anyone can question registering gun owners. Not a single word.
Word.......... :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

The FAA has been praying unmanned aviation will Just Go Away.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Mike OTDP wrote:The FAA has been praying that general aviation, unmanned aviation, and Part 103 will Just Go Away.
FIFY.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Termite wrote:
Mike OTDP wrote:The FAA has been praying that general aviation, unmanned aviation, and Part 103 will Just Go Away.
FIFY.
They haven't just been passively praying.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

What Greg said.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop