off the deep end: into electric bikes and batteries

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: off the deep end: into electric bikes and batteries

Post by HTRN »

Darrell wrote:The Zombie 222 '68 Mustang, 800 hp, 1,800 lb/ft of torque. There are a couple of very impressive vids at the link.
At what cost? You want scary? Hot Rod took a boneyard 4.9L LS motor(they initially thought it was a 5.3L), swapped out the bottom end hardware for ARP, did a mild porting job, and decided how much boost they could squeeze in the motor before they blew it up.

They managed to get it to 1200hp, 27PSI, before giving up. For something like 50+ passes.

And I was talking about something like GM's "Sunraycer" - a 3 wheeled, ultralight, low drag "ufo".
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

That belt drive video on the patterson site looked really smooth.
BDK

Post by BDK »

blackeagle603 wrote:...and then you take that 2 speed crank, do some machining, hang some different chainrings on it and install it in your high speed e-bike (like so).
So, I didn't really get into it too much, but at that point, are you mainly just pedaling a generator?
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

When does a moped become a motorcycle?

I dunno. Some of the extreme builds are basically motorcycles and being ridden that way. The pedals are a technicality. The way I ride mine it's similar level of work for a non-powered bike but with higher average speed, quicker back to speed from a stop light and open up lots of possibilities when it gets steep. If you want any real range you need to manage your amp draw and put out some effort (or carry a massive battery).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

This would be awesome for morning commutes... if I didn't have to deal with school buses and shit drivers with cars full of kids.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Drove part way this morning, parked on side street then rode 5 miles in to the office. That's the 5th time in 2 weeks I've had time free.

Takes 20-21 minutes to drive that stretch and 18.5 - 20 minutes to ride it (depending on lights). Have to add some time at each end though for getting bike set up and locked up (getting that dialed in better each trip). Then it up 120 steps to the 5th floor and my desk.

Yeah, after that, me and my two lava lamps have a pretty good glow on in the office.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

On thing about riding bikes regularly is that you have to be good with a bit of regular fiddling. Dear wife headed off last week to work on her electric bike and then had to turn around and push it up the hill home with a front tire going flat. Need to get her pre-flight disciplines going. ;)

In the meantime she reverted to riding her pedal MTB hybrid. This morning she took off down the hill to work at the school in her Halloween costume tutu flapping in the breeze. Heh, would have been a great picture if I'd been ready with the camera.

I finally got around to pulling the wheel on her electric and patching the tube last night. First time I've touched these new fangled bike disc brakes. Noticed the disc is dragging on one side. Caliper isn't centered. Had a momentary head scratch about what to do. Thank goodness for Youtube and all the guys posting tips there.

toad

Post by toad »

I've been looking at three wheeled bikes due to balance problems and the grocery carrying capacity.
They've got foam inner tubes you don't have to inflate and Kevlar tires that are pretty puncture resistant. Only dang problem is a pintle mount for the .50 cal to keep the druggies and drunks from running me over.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Only dang problem is a pintle mount for the .50 cal to keep the druggies and drunks from running me over.
Gun trailer!

randy

Post by randy »

blackeagle603 wrote:
Only dang problem is a pintle mount for the .50 cal to keep the druggies and drunks from running me over.
Gun trailer!
Maybe you could modify a wheelbarrow!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".