Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Netpackrat

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Netpackrat »

toad wrote:The "Abomination" shotgun in MHI started out as a Saiga shotgun before Milo tweeked it into a full auto with side folding bayonet, grenade launcher, and holographic sight.
Made me think of Netpackrat for some reason.
Yeah, but I'm way too much of a wuss to lug all of that stuff around. I even cut 5" off the barrel of my Saiga shotgun to save weight. :lol:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I guess it's about time I try some of those MHI books you guys keep referring to.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Jered wrote:
First Shirt wrote: think he should be staked with a thermite grenade on his chest.
That would just piss him off.

After Nemesis or maybe as a result of Nemesis, I found him a more sympathetic character.
+1. I think the mark of a great writer is to be able to take antagonists and unsympathetic characters and turn them into characters we can relate to. As much as I like John Ringo's stuff, when Kratman humanized the Posleen in a couple of novels, that gave him high marks as a writer for me.

After reading MHI: Nemesis, I think the only way you can kill Franks is to throw him into a volcano or have him sit atop a nuke before it detonates.

Reading MHI makes me want guns I can't buy. And to buy silver bullets.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

On a similar note, I picked up Occult Assassin: Damnation Code, which is currently free for Kindle on Amazon. It's... I mean, just look at this cheesy description:
After a decade spent fighting the enemy abroad and keeping his country safe, Delta Force Operator Mark Talon is ready to settle down with the love of his life. But Talon's world crumbles when his fiancée becomes the victim of a murderous cult. The military man now has a new foe in his crosshairs, and this promises to be a very different war.

The person responsible for his beloved's death is a Silicon Valley tycoon allied with the forces of darkness. Fusing cutting-edge computer technology with an ancient evil, the enemy here cannot be stopped by bullets alone. If Talon is to be victorious in his mission of vengeance, he will need to master a new method of warfare -- the arcane arts! He must become... the Occult Assassin.
DELTA FORCE OPERATOR MARK TALON

Well, the price was right so I read it. And yeah, it's pretty corny, but it was also pretty fun. Worth a look, I think.
toad

Post by toad »

Goodness knows that I have low brow taste, and reading a classic book now causes me nose bleeds, but when I read the Blurb for "Occult Assasin" I figured I didn't have enough crackers to soak up the cheese.
Now I'm going to have to try it before you guys drive the price up to a dollar.
evan price

Post by evan price »

David Coe's "Spell Blind".
Instant first impression on seeing it was, "oh, somebody wants to cash in on The Dresden Files."...saw it was Baen and figured maybe worth a read.
Ugh. Main character is "Justis Fearsson" for crying out loud.
Yes, ripoff of Dresden Files. But poorly written, poorly charactered, just masses of fail with a goofy magic system.
Finding out Coe is a SJW, Puppy-hater, Scalzi-lover, AGW-true-believer wasn't a surprise.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

evan price wrote:David Coe's "Spell Blind".
Instant first impression on seeing it was, "oh, somebody wants to cash in on The Dresden Files."...saw it was Baen and figured maybe worth a read.
Ugh. Main character is "Justis Fearsson" for crying out loud.
Yes, ripoff of Dresden Files. But poorly written, poorly charactered, just masses of fail with a goofy magic system.
Finding out Coe is a SJW, Puppy-hater, Scalzi-lover, AGW-true-believer wasn't a surprise.
Poorly written, poorly charactered, from BAEN??? That doesn't happen very often. :(
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Try "Seal Team 666" and tell me what you think.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just finished Struggle for the Middle Sea, by Vincent O'Hara. Excellent book on the Mediterranean naval war in WWII. Having a second go at Thucydides now.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Jered

Post by Jered »

Weetabix wrote:I guess it's about time I try some of those MHI books you guys keep referring to.
We will flog you with a wet noodle if you do not.

If you have a Kindle [<---Click me to see] or something that can read Kindle format books, MHI is free.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.