Toadsticker/Survival Knife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Lokidude

Re: Toadsticker/Survival Knife

Post by Lokidude »

Greg wrote:That's going to be a royal pain to sharpen, but if the heat treat is good it should be a perfectly serviceable knife.
Trivial to sharpen that profile with a Lansky.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Darrell wrote:I got a Schrade SCHF9 "Extreme Survival" knife from Amazon today. I was looking for something to round out an order and ran across the knife as a happy accident. Can't beat it with a stick for $37.87:
Schrade SCHF9 Extreme Survival Knife. Drop point style blade made of 1095 high carbon steel. Full tang with TPE rubber scales and a lanyard hole. Comes with a ballistic nylon sheath with buckled outer pocket and nylon cord leg strap. Overall length: 12.10; Blade length: 6.40"; Blade steel: 1095 Steel; Handle material: TPE; Handle length: 5.70"; Weight: 15.9 ozs.
http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Ext ... rade+knife

It actually appears to be of halfway decent construction. It comes with a decent looking ballistic nylon sheath. I gather it's made in Taiwan; I gather also that the real Schrade went out of business years ago.
schradeschf9.jpg

How thick is the spine? Will it stand up to serious batoning?
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

rightisright wrote:
Darrell wrote:I got a Schrade SCHF9 "Extreme Survival" knife from Amazon today. I was looking for something to round out an order and ran across the knife as a happy accident. Can't beat it with a stick for $37.87:
Schrade SCHF9 Extreme Survival Knife. Drop point style blade made of 1095 high carbon steel. Full tang with TPE rubber scales and a lanyard hole. Comes with a ballistic nylon sheath with buckled outer pocket and nylon cord leg strap. Overall length: 12.10; Blade length: 6.40"; Blade steel: 1095 Steel; Handle material: TPE; Handle length: 5.70"; Weight: 15.9 ozs.
http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Ext ... rade+knife

It actually appears to be of halfway decent construction. It comes with a decent looking ballistic nylon sheath. I gather it's made in Taiwan; I gather also that the real Schrade went out of business years ago.
schradeschf9.jpg

How thick is the spine? Will it stand up to serious batoning?
The spine is 1/4" thick.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I like the drywall hammer. Have to acquire one soon. Been redoing the house shouldn't be a problem next time I go.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.