Decent books on European Martial Arts?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Goods2010

Decent books on European Martial Arts?

Post by Goods2010 »

Due to my dislike of the Far East I've had an interest brewing for Martial Arts from the part of the world my ancestors came from. To narrow things down a bit mostly interested in sword, ax, and spear. Two or one handed use. If there is actually written instruction of mace and war hammer I would thoroughly enjoy it. For some strange reason those two weapons appeal to me for some reason.

Welcome to book suggestions. Information from here is deemed more reliable than Amazon book reviews. Especially given all I have learned from my lurking in the War Room.
BDK

Re: Decent books on European Martial Arts?

Post by BDK »

Nothing really to add, other than gymnastics came from the training for knights - so, I suspect, it would be far more physically demanding than most martial arts - at least, the gymnasts I've know have been far more physically developed than any martial artists I've met - but that could be a matter of level.
BDK

Post by BDK »

True - but, and admittedly, I've only known Olympic level gymnasts (I'm related to one) - all of the gymnasts I've ever seen are much heavier muscled than most of the martial arts guys.

I also recall reading, albeit only in passing, that Bruce Lee was interested in far more than just traditional martial arts.

I did know one muscled Judo guy, but he was, surprisingly, weak.

I think, essentially, you can't work on rings, bars, horse, etc w.o. developing strength - whereas you can say, be an international level competitor in Tae Kwan Do (no real idea about it, just the folks I know), and be almost devoid of strength.
Goods2010

Post by Goods2010 »

Much appreciated.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:Bruce Lee had so little bodyfat that he had kidney and liver issues, and was ridiculously strong and fit for a little guy.
Lee may have been the strongest man on the planet, going by strength/body weight..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Rapiers - Training
Clements..... John..... Renaissance Swordsmanship
La Rocca..... Don..... The Academy Of The Sword
Waller..... John.....The Academy Of Dramatic Combat: Sword Fighting
Wilson..... William..... The Art Of Defense: A Practical Guide To The Study Of The Rapier
Training - Modern
Deladrier..... Clovis..... Modern Fencing
Hobbs..... William..... Fight Direction For Stage And Screen
Hutchinson..... Fred..... The Modern Swordsman
L. de Beaumont..... C...... All About Fencing - Foil, Epee, Sabre
Lane..... Richard J...... Swashbuckling: A Step-By-Step Guide To The Art Of Stage Combat And Thea
Duelling
Baldick….. Robert….. The Duel: A History
Keen….. Maurice Hugh….. Chivalry
Kirchner….. Paul….. Dueling With Sword And Pistol
Wilson….. John L.….. The Code Of Honor
Price….. Brian R.….. The Book Of The Tournament
Historical
Burton….. Richard F.….. The Book Of The Sword
Coe….. Michael D.….. Swords And Hilt Weapons
Ffoulkes….. Charles….. Sword, Lance And Bayonet
Hutton….. Alfred….. The Sword And The Centuries
O'Connell & Batchlor….. Robert & John….. An Illustrated History Of Weaponry And Warfare
Wagner….. Edward….. Cut And Thrust Weapons
Weland….. G.….. A Collector's Guide To Swords, Daggers And Cutlasses
Wilkinson….. Frederic….. Edged Weapons
Wilkinson….. Frederic….. Swords And Daggers
Medieval
Davidson….. H. R. Ellis….. The Sword In Anglo Saxon England
Waite….. Adrian….. The Medieval European Sword
Oakeshott….. R. Ewart….. The Sword In The Age Of Chivalry
Thompson….. Logan, Major….. The Armoured Knight Of 1200 AD (1975 Edition)
Training - Scot
Rector….. Mark….. Highland Swordsmanship
Thompson & Pastore….. Christopher & Michael D…… Highland Knife Fighting With The Dirk And Sgian
Waterer John W. Leather and the Warrior from the time of the ancient Greeks to World War Il (1981 Edition)
Training
Brown….. Terry….. English Martial Arts
Clements….. John….. Medieval Swordsmanship
Davies….. Jonathan….. Tudor Swords And Swordsmanship
Lindholm….. David….. Sigmund Ringneck's Knightly Art Of The Longsword
Sanchez….. John….. Slash And Thrust
Talhoffer….. Hans….. Medieval Combat translated by Mark Rector, Intro by John Clements
Wagner….. Paul….. Master Of Defense: The Works Of George Silver
Zabinski….. Grzegorz….. Codex Wallerstein: A Medieval Fighting Book
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
BDK

Post by BDK »

SeekHer, I suspect you must have one heck of a library...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Well, he's got to do something when it's snowing, and this is Canadia we're talking about.. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Goods2010

Post by Goods2010 »

Enrolled in a new Historical European Martial Arts school that opened in not far from the house. Love it.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Goods2010 wrote:Enrolled in a new Historical European Martial Arts school that opened in not far from the house. Love it.
I've been seeing references to HEMA online lately, and it seems very appealing.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr