Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
JAG2955

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by JAG2955 »

I'm kind of in a doldrums right now with regards to reading. Can someone suggest a good historical non-fiction book that will grab my attention like "Six Frigates" did?
evan price

Post by evan price »

Started Master & Commander. Like the Hornblower stuff so this is right up my alley.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Jered

Post by Jered »

evan price wrote:Taking a break from binge-reading Harry Dresden books (Love them so far but one needs to rest one's taste buds after indulging in strong flavors). I'm about to start Book #11, Turn Coat.

So I'm whetting my appetite with the first two of the Lost Regiment books by William Forstchen. First one was OK. Second one seems about the same.
I enjoyed the Lost Regiment series, and I bought the entire Destroyermen series. If you like the Lost Regiment, you'd probably like that one, too.

I also just ordered Mike Williamson's A Long Time Until Now.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

evan price wrote:Started Master & Commander. Like the Hornblower stuff so this is right up my alley.
I'd read Master and Commander years ago. Can't find it, so I ordered the first six in the series. Post Captain arrived first, so I'm reading that now.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

JAG2955 wrote:I'm kind of in a doldrums right now with regards to reading. Can someone suggest a good historical non-fiction book that will grab my attention like "Six Frigates" did?
I see what you did there. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I just ordered a couple of books from Amazon:

Dumb but Lucky!: Confessions of a P-51 Fighter Pilot in World War II

AND:

Serenade to the Big Bird

Anyone read either of these books?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

JAG2955 wrote:I'm kind of in a doldrums right now with regards to reading. Can someone suggest a good historical non-fiction book that will grab my attention like "Six Frigates" did?
How historical? I'm a huge fan of James Hornfischer's WWII books, including Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and Neptune's Inferno.

They Were Expendable by W.L. White is a fascinating story of the PT boat crews in the Philippines at the beginning of the war.

And Cornelius Ryan's The Longest Day is probably the best book on D-Day ever written.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just started Steel Bonnets by George MacDonald Fraser (of Flashman fame). A history of the Border Reivers of England and Scotland between 1300-1605.

Just got a new tablet, and now I've gotta try and figure out how to change all my EPUB stuff to MOBI format.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

First Shirt wrote:Just got a new tablet, and now I've gotta try and figure out how to change all my EPUB stuff to MOBI format.
Calibre will convert between formats. Default is to EPUB but just checked and it has MOBI listed as an output format. And it's free!

If you have an Android, you can download the Aldiko e-book reader which handles EPUB and you can skip the conversion step. Don't know if there is an I-whatever version. I got based on multiple recommendations from here and it works well.

Also, if Android, there is a Calibre Companion app that interfaces with the desktop version (through home WI-FI if you have it) which makes loading books onto your tablet a breeze. Again, don't know if there is an I-version
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

With the Old Breed, by Eugene B. Sledge. He was at Pelileu and Okinawa.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy