Preparing for the PooPocalypse

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
workinwifdakids

Preparing for the PooPocalypse

Post by workinwifdakids »

A lack of hygiene and sanitation will make any situation worse. Not to overlook the effect on morale that a good dump provides, but epidemic cholera and dysentery ought to be avoided. Thus, it makes good sense to discuss how to manage our S when the S has HTF.

I went to quakekare and set us up with supplies for the cost of a tank of gas, or less. I picked up one of their toilet seats, a couple packs of toilet bags, and some toilet chemicals. Shipping from that particular site isn't attractive, but you'll still come in under budget. I picked up a bucket from the Big Orange Box, and stuffed all that gear inside. I added a half-dozen rolls of premium TP, a box of medical gloves, and a roll of kitchen trash sacks. For a suburban setting, this suits me nicely. If I position my bucket on the ridge in my back yard, I'll be able to read a magazine and smoke a pipe on the toilet while I watch the next door neighbors dig a shallow pit in their yard. Ah, the finer things in life.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
First Shirt

Re: Preparing for the PooPocalypse

Post by First Shirt »

The Boss doesn't know it, but I've already figured out where to put the outhouse if we get down to the hand pump for water.

We're stocking up on quality TP though. There are some sacrifices that I'm just not prepared to make yet.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

You can still get premium TP? The Northern and Charmin around here both narrowed and degraded in quality over the last few years, and Scott/Kirkwood and others never were as nice. When my in-house TP stash got low (my fault for not replenishing from the storage stash), my wife opened the last pack of 'old' Northern Ultra and started pestering me to get more of that nice toilet paper. It was sad telling her I could not.

We've had a bucket, thick right-size bags, bucket-toilet-seat, RV toilet chemicals, and some doodie bags bought on clearance that fit on a standard toilet to use when water or sewer are unavailable, for years (and 4-6 months of TP between the two stashes). Have not test driven the bucket. I expect it will pose modest stability challenges to folks used to fixed porcelain thrones...
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

There are worse things one could do than acquire one of those composting toilets, and set and some bags of sawdust aside for the poopcalypse.
Having some handy PVC vent-stack pipe lengths and cement, and a plan for drop-in installation in the thinking room come the day would be even better, along with a suitable sheet of plywood with a rubber backing to drop over the porcelain johnnie seat and seal it for the duration/until further notice.

Sitting on the plastic bucket is a good (very) short-term interim solution, but doing something before that becomes a problem solves the long-term problem with a stack of bags full of one's own effluvium.

And if you have an average city/suburban lot, dropping the resulting humanure compost on border rose/thornbushes away from any incoming water supply lines, and downhill from any yard-based food-gardening feeds the rosebushes for quite a while, and lets solar UV finish what composting starts.
Better defense, minimal haulage, no issues.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Every few weeks my local supermarket has good quality toilet paper and paper towels on sale as a loss leaders. I keep them stacked high and deep.

I have plenty of wood and piping to make an outhouse. The only bitch is it is pretty rocky around here so digging is a PITA. But I am on the lookout for backhoe attachment for my newly acquired tractor.
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Anyone who has been camping with female types knows these items are indispensable:
ImageImage

I could even set them up in the garage if necessary.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Here's a helpful addition to Flintlock Tom's PortaPot: Windshield washer antifreeze fluid in the flushing reservoir. You can leave the PortaPotty in an unheated area or outside in that privacy tent even in freezing weather (Yeah, it's COLD, I know, but it won't usually kill you) and the WW antifreeze's an excellent stink-killer/antibacterial too.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
randy

Post by randy »

Flintlock Tom wrote:Anyone who has been camping with female types knows these items are indispensable:
Don't forget to stock up on the hand sanitizer to stock with the TP.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".