Swaging .50?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
The Wizard

Swaging .50?

Post by The Wizard »

So, after shooting a friends Barrett 82a1 and talking about ammo prices I got to thinking about swaging .50 BMG bullets, I know .22LR brass is used to make .223 bullets but is there any common (cheap) brass that can be used to make .50 bullets? I ran my calipers over some of my fired brass and the closest i had was my 8mm brass comes out around .470 where a .50 BMG bullet should be .510, since brass cased 8mm isn't free or all that easy to find laying around I was hoping someone had an idea on what brass could be made into .50 jackets which is reasonably cheap/free and fairly common. Thanks

Included is a pic of 9mm brass as .40 S&W jackets.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
308Mike

Re: Swaging .50?

Post by 308Mike »

That's a FULL seamless copper jacket covering the ENTIRE CASE AND BULLET without any break/weak-point to separate the bullet from the case? Might that not cause case head ruptures before the bullet separates (unless it's scored around the top of the case) - or possibly causing issues with protruding primers?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Now THAT'S pretty cool!

I had a friend back in Omaha who used to use .22 LR cases to make "practice" bullets for his .220 Swift. They were almost as accurate as his factory bullets, and a lot cheaper to shoot (unless you counted his time to make them).

Of course, this was a guy who would regularly re-barrel his rifle every two or three years, and I've seen him hit prairie dogs at over 800 meters. So he shot a LOT!

You may need to look at Corbin bullet swaging options. I can't think of an available case that would work.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Mike I think that the idea is that those are just bullets, not entire cartridges.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yeah, well there's that whole etymology of RCBS naming thing after all..

On my bucket list for sure.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Kommander wrote:Mike I think that the idea is that those are just bullets, not entire cartridges.
Okay, I claim ignorance - WHERE would the cartridge end and bullet begin (in that picture)? Would that actually be a "caseless" cartridge?? If so, WHY haven't we been doing so for years?

I'm just looking for education, and if such a thing is possible, why are we holding back on such production?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

that IS the bullet. The 9mm case is swaged over a lead core to form a finished bullet. Don't let the rim distract you -- that's a red herring.

It's just the bullet base now. The rim is just an artifact that remains from it's previous live as a cartridge case. It's a brass jacketed lead core bullet instead of a copper jacketed lead core bullet.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

just follow the bouncing ball from cartridge casing to bullet jacket to loaded in a .40SW cartridge

PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

That is cool. It takes bullet casting to a whole nuther dimension.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Usually, they use copper tubing to make bmg jackets, or if a full base is absolutely required, caps.

Swaging, is not economical, the presses, and dies can cost truly stupid amounts of money - a Walnut hill press from RCE is what? 400 bucks these days, with a how many month wait?

Swagings big advantage is you can make bullets for anything no matter how oddball the size - 227, 318, 298, 318, 435, etc. Even bonded bullets are now easy for something where a commercial offering doesn't exist, has few, or spotty suppliers.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt