Replacement EDC Pocketknife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Re: Replacement EDC Pocketknife

Post by Aglifter »

I issue BMW griptillians as work knives - they are a good design. (They seem to be a copy of my BM Leopard.

A mini version of one of those might work.

Or, say a case lock back if you do not want the thumb stud etc
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:
Lokidude wrote:NYC has an issue with locking folders?
The specific issue is with the thumb stud on most blades today, because using an extremely skewed interpretation of the cities switchblade law, they've taken to prosecuting everyday schmoes, who promptly pleabargain down, thus raising the DAs win/loss record.
I actually thought it was the lock that was the issue, because of the way the law is worded. I've heard of people being prosecuted for carrying Swiss Army knives if the main blade locked.

I believe there's also a "field test" for a (also illegal) gravity knife, the cop will hold it by the blade and flick it, if it opens it's illegal. some flick harder than others, and damn near any knife will open if flicked hard enough.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

About the only locking knife which cannot be flicked open, TMK is a liner lock. The back spring locks will fall open if you release the lock - you will, certainly, win on appeal - maybe at trial

Otherwise... NYPD may have changed some, but not nearly enough.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

While checking out some of the recommendations here, I came across this.

Anyone familiar with Ontario Knives?
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Kershaw Skyline.

Really like them. I like my Leek better but that's because it's assisted opening.

If you don't mine a ChiCom knife then a Gerber EVO. Here is a write-up I did a while back:

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013 ... dable-edc/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote:I believe there's also a "field test" for a (also illegal) gravity knife, the cop will hold it by the blade and flick it, if it opens it's illegal. some flick harder than others, and damn near any knife will open if flicked hard enough.
Yup. The law states something about centrifugal force.. But if they're using the thumbstud, basically can be done with any current production knife if the user is skilled enough.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Hmmmm, the Skyline DOES look nice, the price is right, and given how happy I've been with my Kershaw these last few years....

At first Durham68 referred to it as a "flipper" I wasn't sure, seemed like a gravity-knife (verboten in NYFC), but looking at the video on Amazon it's quite similar to how I open my Storm.

I really, REALLY hate having to think of such things when shopping for something as pedestrian as a pocket knife. The ability to open a knife one-handed has served me well many times (including the time, while fishing, when I latched onto a snapping turtle whose shell was probably close to three FEET across, decided he could have the hook). While I probably wouldn't carry a switchblade for pocket carry for fear of it opening unintentionally in my pocket, assisted opening looks handy. I just don't need the potential legal hassle over it.

I keep saying, someday I'm going to move to America. At that time I'm buying an M1 Carbine, an M14 and an AR-15, all with bayonet lugs, flash hiders and standard magazines, along with a drawer full of automatic knives just because.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

MarkD wrote:Hmmmm, the Skyline DOES look nice, the price is right, and given how happy I've been with my Kershaw these last few years....

At first Durham68 referred to it as a "flipper" I wasn't sure, seemed like a gravity-knife (verboten in NYFC), but looking at the video on Amazon it's quite similar to how I open my Storm.
You could always tighten down the screw to keep it from opening easily enough to get you in trouble.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I am very happy with my Sodbuster and Sodbuster Jr, but still ordered a Spyderco Endura because, Owen Z. Pitt. :lol:

I got mine in purple. It arrived today. I love it, but damn…IT'S BIG!!! I mean, as in considerably larger than my full-sized Sodbuster, big. Still, it will go in the rotation.

What's that sound? Do you hear it??? Oh yes, the siren song of it's little sister, the Spyderco Delica. I'll be ordering one of those too very soon, I'm sure.

I don't have a problem. I can quit anytime I want... 8-) :lol:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Some year I am either going to go myself, or find a proxy to go for me, to the Kershaw factory sale.

Once a year the Kershaw factory sells off blemished and irregular items, at deep discounts. THAT is dangerous. I'd load up a wheelbarrow. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr