Best .22LR mfr - if you can find it? (poll)

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.

Which .22 brands are acceptable?

Aquila
8%
Armscor
1%
Remington
5%
Winchester
15%
Federal
16%
Tula
1%
Fiocchi
5%
CCI
24%
Lapua
7%
Eley
12%
Magic Brownie Industries...
5%

Total votes: 110

NVGdude

Re: Best .22LR mfr - if you can find it? (poll)

Post by NVGdude »

Aguila.

It's Eley primed, and tends to be more consistent and accurate than any of the Rem/Win/Fed bulk packs.

For an Appleseed I'd probably pick the high velocity version of any .22 ammo for reliability in a self-loader. For a bolt gun match I would pick standard velocity.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Weet, don't know where you are getting this, but a lot of this ammo was recalled in January.
Check with the winchester website and get the lot number to verify you have the good stuff. Apparently it was double-charged.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Out of the major brands I've tried on the list, I've had the greatest consistency and reliability with CCI.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rumpshot wrote:
Weet, don't know where you are getting this, but a lot of this ammo was recalled in January.
Check with the winchester website and get the lot number to verify you have the good stuff. Apparently it was double-charged.
Dang. Will do. The wife tells me there were several hundred pounds of ammo on the porch today. :P
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I like CCI, Federal and Winchester, in no particular order.
I have no experience with Lapua, and got a 50 box of RMS match out of curiosity, but haven't been courageous enough to touch off any .28 cent match .22 ammo.
evan price wrote:One I will never buy again is Remington Golden Bullet (High dud rate) or the Remington Thunderbolts (High dud rate, inconsistent performance, dirty). Heck, the whole Remington 22 line is on my no-buy list.
Me, neither. I still have over 2000 rounds of the stuff. I've complained elsewhere on this forum how my Buckmark hates them so much I thought I had 9 bad magazines the first time out. My Savage Mark 2 doesn't mind them, but at 50 yards it's more like minute of serving platter than minute of dinner plate.
Last edited by Windy Wilson on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It would probably sicken some of you to know how many pre-panic cartons of Federal bulk I have salted away in ammo cans. Others would no doubt call me a piker. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rumpshot wrote:
I'm good. Thanks for the heads up.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:It would probably sicken some of you to know how many pre-panic cartons of Federal bulk I have salted away in ammo cans. Others would no doubt call me a piker. :mrgreen:
Probably. Put me in the jealous category. ;)

I had 8. I don't go to the range so often because I don't like not being able to replace my ammo, so I'm down to about 6 now. Wish I'd bought a LOT more.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Windy Wilson wrote:I like CCI, Federal and Winchester, in no particular order.
I have no experience with Lapua, and got a 50 box of RMS match out of curiosity, but haven't been courageous enough to touch off any .28 cent match .22 ammo.
evan price wrote:One I will never buy again is Remington Golden Bullet (High dud rate) or the Remington Thunderbolts (High dud rate, inconsistent performance, dirty). Heck, the whole Remington 22 line is on my no-buy list.
Me, neither. I still have over 2000 rounds of the stuff. I've complained elsewhere on this forum how my Buckmark hates them so much I thought I had 9 bad magazines the first time out. My Savage Mark I doesn't mind them, but at 50 yards it's more like minute of serving platter than minute of dinner plate.
My FiL's Mark II 22/45 eats Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets up with near perfect reliability, the only failures being the occasional total dud. The ONLY gun I've seen so happy to eat such lousy ammo. So he thinks that's pretty decent ammo, if a bit dirty.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

JustinR wrote:Out of the major brands I've tried on the list, I've had the greatest consistency and reliability with CCI.
Same experience. And I've had similar results as many others here regarding green box (remmy) stuff-best avoided.