Rumpshot's Revenge 2013

Announcements for an entire nation, or for the entire world.
Weetabix

Re: Rumpshot's Revenge 2013

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:Really wish we could go... this year we're only 200 miles away...
Sigh. If I were only 200 miles away, I'd make it work somehow. I'm 1225 miles away.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Weet, the donation has arrived, much thanks.

To All: Weet, amongst others, has determined that he would not be able to attend this year. I understand the commitments in time, travel, cash etc. Weet decided to contribute to the costs incurred at this end anyway. That is one of the many acts of kindness and thoughtfulness that endear the Gun Counter family to me and I believe to most of us.

When I started RR, it was done to be an opportunity for this motley crew to come together in friendship and fellowship, with a bit of shooty goodness thrown in on the side. I know there are quite a few members that would dearly love to attend, but are unable to do so, for many reasons. This forum is large enough to do this sort of thing in your neighborhood too. Precision has tried it. CC has his local following. Denis has traveled from Belgium to attend CC's.

Many others have traveled across country.

This year, I expect my local (Prescott area) friends will outnumber the Gun Counter folks for the first time. This is not a criticism, but an observation of fact.

I will continue to host the Rumpshot's Revenge at about this time of year for the foreseeable future. Each one is unique in how it turns out.

I encourage each of you to consider attending with the opportunity to meet folks you already "know" but have not yet had the chance to meet. I am open to suggestions on how and when to schedule RR. What would you like to see/do while here.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the weather looks to be cold at night and nice during the day. Highs approaching 75 and lows in the mid-20's. It is very dry here now. We had LOTS of summer rain and the grass/weeds are tall and dry. Fire danger is not advertised as high, but it is. Found a note that might indicate that Tannerite is not welcome on National Forest land... The Porta-john is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. I will put up my awning and Flintlock Tom's EZ-Up and a couple three tables. I have a couple new, smaller, targets for this year. I also have a whole new stable of rifles/shotguns to bring up and exercise.

Hope to see you there.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

The previous post was not intended to be a request for funding. Just a chance to comment.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

You have it backwards - I was thanking you for doing this every year. Even though I haven't been able to get to one, just knowing it's there makes me feel better somehow. I just didn't want you taking all the financial load as well as the logistics load. I'll get there one year.

Anybody in MO, IA, eastern NE, eastern KS, AR, eastern OK, western TN, western KY, southern IN, IL up for putting together a regional shoot? Who all is around there? Dinochrome, Little Sister, Souporman, Frankingun, SKB(?), CU74, JohnnieReb. Who else? I could start a separate thread if anyone is interested.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Well it is here. Don't know yet who might be up the hill at the site.

The Porta-john, scheduled for delivery on Wednesday was rescheduled for Friday. It finally showed up a bit after 5:30 PM. About 10 minutes before sunset. It needed to be loaded on the trailer first. Time it was loaded, tied down and the rest of the "stuff" loaded on the trailer, it was full dark. I decided not to make the 20-30 minute drive to the site in the dark and will deliver it this morning. Spent much of yesterday waiting for the delivery.

I have not been to the site yet, at all. Will try to get up there, placing signs along the way sometime around 8 AM.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Denis

Post by Denis »

Have fun y'all!

Rumpshot - thanks for the honourable mention :-) If ever I can manage it, I'll make a double trip to Gunsite and Rumpshot's Revenge. My day will come!
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Denis, we need you to come and honor us with your presence. KDT too.

First day is in the can. Photos to follow.

John OC, AZMark, and Rumpshot represented TGC.

John won the .45-70 match once again. We will make him provide his own rifle next time. He hit the mark 3 times out of 5. Your humble servant came in second with one miserable hit.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Headed back up to the site in about an hour. Need to locate my camera and download photos, will do that later.

Had 11 people to dinner last night. Chips and Guacamole to start with, Tossed salad with Ranch dressing, Chicken Penne Pasta and fresh French bread for the main course, Apple and Pumpkin pie and Cheesecake and cookies for desert. Hope no one went away hungry cause there were left-overs...

Besides a number of regular visitors, there were two other things conspicuous in their absence at dinner. There was no one wearing a kilt, and I forgot to grab and install my NoR shirt. :oops:

Had a number of "new" local folks as visitors. One young man, who was a very good shot and very conscientious about safety and gun handling, who really was tickled at getting to handle and shoot a large number of different firearms. Several women who participated, including John OC's bride that has a fondness for recoil... When Derrick broke out the .500 S&W revolver, she would break into a large grin. :lol:

Loaded up some Tannerite goodies and it is great fun to listen to the boom reverberate up and down the canyon. :D
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Everybody is gone. The targets picked up and hauled out. The trailer is back in the yard, needs to be unloaded and porta-john set by the gate for pickup.

Proposed dates for next year 1 & 2 Nov, 2014.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Netpackrat wrote:Get her to the vet. Our cat was losing a lot of weight, and the vet diagnosed her as hyperthyroid... We have to give her medicine twice a day, but the weight loss stopped abruptly and she is doing pretty good these days for a 20 year old cat.
Guys, we had to put her down. We took her to the vet and she had pre-existing condition of thickening of her heart walls, which leads to a form of Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), 'cause her heart can no longer function properly (and her heart has to work WAYYYY too hard), so she KNEW she was VERY sick, she stopped eating (unless we encouraged her by offering a variety of items just to get her to eat), but that wasn't enough. She lost over 30% of her body weight after she stopped eating, and her body was consuming her muscle tissue just to keep her alive.

Our poor baby was doing whatever she could to stay alive 'cause she KNEW we were worried about her and were trying to do whatever she could to stay alive and maintain her loving connection to me - 'cause she KNEW I was worried about her and she rarely left my side and was usually within arms reach of me until the end.

Not only was she suffering from her heart troubles, but she was also suffering from SEVERE KIDNEY FAILURE. Treating one condition only made the other condition worse. We were in a classic medical Catch-22.

With our baby having lost 30% of her body weight and not eating, suffering from severe kidney failure, along with heart failure (she'd also stopped grooming herself which frequently can be a sign that she no longer cares to be part of this world), we made the heart-breaking decision to not make her suffer any more, and I held her in my arms (with a folded towel under her to make it nice and soft/warm for her), while they administered the life-ending drugs (over-doses of pain-killers and other drugs similar to what they give death-row inmates to kill them).

Our baby (Sierra - our cat which I rescued from between two block walls when she was only a few weeks old) died in my arms, with both of us petting her and giving her loving as she passed, her pink tongue sticking out when she became unconscious, knowing her brain was still working and able to process what she was seeing and hearing until all her brain function ceased. She KNEW we loved her and just wanted to end her suffering. She was my shadow whenever I was outside, I protected & rescued her whenever she got herself into trouble. She slept between our heads on our bed and stayed next to me whenever I stayed in bed just so I could be near her while watching TV in our bedroom. Towards the end, she rarely left my side, and came whenever I called her.

She was much more like a dog than a cat at the end. She was staying alive to please me, and I was feeling guilty because I was extending her suffering just so she could stay alive for my benefit (even though she was suffering greatly - but we didn't know until almost the very end). But I didn't know it at the time. She was a devoted pet/family member (we treat our pets as family members since we have no children of our own - and they reciprocate by loving us in the same manner - our cats follow us around like puppies, NOT like kittens).

The loss of our cat, which we'd raised from a 2-week-old kitten, and bonded with, and protected, is a VERY painful loss to BOTH of us, and we apologize for not being able to make it to Rumpshot's. We just weren't in the mood to go traveling at the time, and both us were quite distraught at the loss of our "daughter" - who died in our (my arms physically) arms, and we decided we weren't in the mood to leave home 'cause we wanted to (and would still love to) take her with us in the RV to attend Rumpshot's. It would have been her first road trip. We'd already cleaned a space in the RV and set-up the litter-box in the bottom of the shower for travel (even if it would have been 3 cats and ONE litter box, we would have just cleaned it MUCH more often).

But now we're down to two cats, one is a lizard-hunter, the other hangs out inside the house even though the back door is wide-open. But we still mourn our "Pink-Nose Kitty", and needing to put her down-mostly due to genetic reasons. We'd BET that she lived MUCH longer than her feral siblings, and was certainly MUCH HAPPIER (and healthier) than her siblings!!!

If you've ever bonded with an animal (PET), then lost that animal (PET), you'll understand how we feel - it's like losing a family member, and for those who've bonded, you have lost a family member.

As much as we'd loved to have been at Rumpshot's, we had different priorities, and if we could have saved our loved one, we would have done so or found a way to minimize her discomfort/agony. When you realize your pet was hanging on to keep you company, because of their love for you, and then you have to make the decision to end their suffering, it's VERY painful - even though you know you're releasing them from their pain & suffering.

Sorry guys, in this instance, the timing sucked! We would have loved to have been there, but our suffering baby was more important.

We REALLY HOPE none of you have to go through the same thing (and your pets die in their sleep). It's a heart-breaker!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

SEMPER FI!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad