Is Your Mora Too Sharp? Update: Got My First Mora!

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Erik

Re: Is Your Mora Too Sharp? Update: Got My First Mora!

Post by Erik »

Greg wrote:Oh, far more creative than that. She's an aerospace engineer after all.
Maybe we should start a list with "Things I've seen done with/to a Mora".
I'd start with:
* Used as a pry bar
* Opening paint cans
* Stirring paint
* Used as a can opener
* Paint remover (scraping paint off)
* Splitting wood
* Digging
* measuring lengths
* Used as a screwdriver
* Weedwhacker
* Throwing knife
* Hunting rats (don't ask, it wasn't pretty...)

And that's not counting the more normal things you'd do with a knife, like for instance:
* gutting, cleaning and fileting fish
* gutting, cleaning and skinning game
* Cut and wittle wood
* Preparing food and used as a food utensil
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I emailed the company for an ETA on my Mora, and they replied, "We were pretty hard hit by the hurricane. Perhaps you heard about it?"

I should get it in a few days.

Erik- Is there a Mora available off of Amazon or elsewhere that you think is THE classic Mora? Can you provide a link?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Erik

Post by Erik »

I've heard Ragnar's Swedish Knifes is the place to buy Moras in the US. I never had any experience of him myself though.

If you want THE classic Mora, you want the Classic #1.
1.gif
It's on that page, and it says he charges $10 for it. But it doesn't have any finger guards, so maybe that's something you'd want to think twice about.

As an aside, I went by a lumber yard a few days ago and picked up one of these on my way out:
511.gif
Price was only $4.50, it's hard to not pick one up when you pass the counter. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Wayne
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

That second one is the one I have coming. And I'm horrified to see that I paid double what you did for it. $9 for a reliable, good quality utility knife! Wait... that's still not horrifying... :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Erik wrote:I've heard Ragnar's Swedish Knifes is the place to buy Moras in the US. I never had any experience of him myself though.

If you want THE classic Mora, you want the Classic #1.
1.gif
It's on that page, and it says he charges $10 for it. But it doesn't have any finger guards, so maybe that's something you'd want to think twice about.

As an aside, I went by a lumber yard a few days ago and picked up one of these on my way out:
511.gif
Price was only $4.50, it's hard to not pick one up when you pass the counter. :mrgreen:
All my Mora's are from Ragnar. He's a good guy, pleasant to deal with and ships promptly. Oh and that last knife the 511, I don't like that guard but I have a Dremel- for that price I'd buy 3 or 4 at a time.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Denis

Post by Denis »

Erik wrote:
Weetabix wrote:
I have a Helle Harding knife ... that I mostly use it as the clean knife for apples and cheese and such when I'm camping.
My very subjective opinion of Helle (as well as Brusletto) ...
As a clean knife that is used for food or cleaning fish and game, I would have no problem carrying it, as a general utility knife I'd be a bit more careful with how I used it.
You can do a lot worse than a stainless Morakniv for "clean" use. (Don't have a picture handy, but will look for one) I use mine for both clean and dirty, but it's easy to get it from dirty to clean again. I do have the Helles and Brusletto's too. Nice, upmarket, but more expensive.
Erik wrote:
511.gif
Erik, I will be sending you a shopping list :-) I pay EUR 10 for the same knife at the tool shop here. Scary sharp carbon steel, and I like the dayglo handle.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My Mora got here today. I haven't used it yet, but it looks quite serviceable.

I'm not sure how to use the plastic sheath with any of my belts, and I don't have any of the buttons that Scandinavians use to hang their knives. It will probably end up in a glove box, but that's what I bought it for.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Weetabix wrote:I'm not sure how to use the plastic sheath with any of my belts, and I don't have any of the buttons that Scandinavians use to hang their knives. It will probably end up in a glove box, but that's what I bought it for.
The sheath actually fits fine on a standard Scandinavian belt, they're 4cm (1.5inches) wide and fairly thin. I think Americans use wider belts, either 1 3/4 or 2inches?
John Wayne
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

That must be it on the belt thing. Mostly I've been using it while working around the house and just shoving it in a back pocket or putting it in one of the slots on my tool belt.

I love this thing. More will be coming.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I got to really use the knife for the first time, at work today. It made short work of cutting up some heavy leather belting, like a hot knife through butter. :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo