.500 Smith: One. Chrony of Truth: Zero.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

.500 Smith: One. Chrony of Truth: Zero.

Post by Netpackrat »

To be clear, I DID NOT shoot my chronograph. Instead, I got my brother to do it for me. Mission for the day was to gather chrony data for his .500 Smith and .45-70 handloads, while I zeroed the Aimpoint on my AK in the next lane over. As will be seen, he only completed part of the first half of the mission before fatally injuring the Chrony of Truth with a single 440 grain hard cast bullet, after about a dozen rounds of incrementally more powerful loads through the .500 Smith hand cannon. In hindsight, it's maybe a little surprising that it took that many rounds for this to happen, and we should probably work on a better rest for future handgun chronograph efforts than just a couple of sandbags. Definitely if we are going to be using the Revolving Flinch Generator instead of a more normal handgun.

Chrony of Truth, RIP (rest in pieces). It served me well and truly and honorably in the time that I had it. Please note for the record, that it looks nothing at all like a bear, nor was it charging at the time of its death, despite the .500 hole blown through it.

AlaskaTRX poses with his handiwork.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rod

Re: .500 Smith: One. Chrony of Truth: Zero.

Post by Rod »

He shot it, he cleans and cooks it. I'd be a white wine would go well with it.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

.500 S&W Magnum. It shoots through tools. :mrgreen:

Make him buy you a new Chrony. I would like to point out that the Oehler 35P is back in production, and still obscenely expensive. But hey, you're not paying for it, amirite? ;) :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Rod wrote:He shot it, he cleans and cooks it.
Beat me to it!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

HTRN wrote:.500 S&W Magnum. It shoots through tools. :mrgreen:

Make him buy you a new Chrony. I would like to point out that the Oehler 35P is back in production, and still obscenely expensive. But hey, you're not paying for it, amirite? ;) :lol:
Hah! Too late! I already ordered him a new Alpha Master Chrony and myself a bench rest for the pistol...

In hindsight I was starting to get a little sloppy there and should have known when to take a break. I was hitting paper at 25 yards with the pistol and still felt in control. I smacked it 10 rounds in and I was averaging in the 1420fps range with 440gr cast performance bullets at the time. For comparison the high zoot Ultramax ammo shooting the same bullets is 1350fps. I went up another half a grain from that and it wasn't really controllable and honestly I didn't make it to max load (not comfortable shooting that).

Anyhow, the new bear round that my brother and I worked up is roughly 1980 ft-lb of energy versus the 1780 ft-lb from the Ultramax ammo. I'll take another 10% any day :)
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

New housing with sensors here...
http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_MCARP.htm
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

As Chris mentioned Chrony will fix it for less than a replacement would cost.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

NVGdude wrote:As Chris mentioned Chrony will fix it for less than a replacement would cost.
Yeah, he's going to send the wrecked one in. Then we will each have one so we won't have to take turns. Probably end up getting another rifle rest setup too, while we are at it, although the range does have loaners.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Does this mean you will sleep with me?

[spoiler]Edited for NPR's benefit.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Yogimus on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yes and no. It killed the chrony, but it didn't totally stop it. The remote screen was still reading like it was ready to measure another shot even with a big hole through the aft sensor.