Douchebags

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
JAG2955

Re: Douchebags

Post by JAG2955 »

I think that the issues with mall ninjas, is that they tend to be out of shape, untrained, and most importantly, pretend to be something that they're not.

And yes, I have a plate carrier (don't own plates yet, other than what I'm issued) with a matching pistol belt and more MARPAT than you can shake a stick at.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

doc Russia wrote:I guess I must be a mall ninja :(
I have multicam in my closet, and I have not one, but two sets of body armor. I also have several medical kits floating around

oh...wait, that's right;
I work with three different SWAT teams providing operational medical support, so I actually use most of that crap.

Still, I do feel like a mall ninja sometimes when I am wearing all that garbage. Most of it I wear because it's what they want me to wear (it would be very bad press if I were to get killed, so I end up in a NIJ level IV coccooon in the belly of an APC when going out).
I would actually prefer it if I could just wear my jeans, cowboy boots, .45, plate carrier and medical kit and call it good.
You are more of a "donut ninja" than a "mall ninja", or perhaps a "pig ninja?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
JimTX

Post by JimTX »

Doc,

One way to exact some small measure of revenge here, would be to tote a classic, black leather Dr.'s "housecall" bag. And put in some extra work on your "hmmm", "ahhh", "hmph", and other terms of medical eloquence.

And don't forget to have some Sponge Bob band-aids along with you. Long as Sponge Bob is wearing DigiCam Square Pants, that is?

(can someone photoshop that one, please?)

Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Damn, they added more photos. I like the ghille suit and the one where he's pointing his gun at the back of the "operator" in front of him. I swear, these guys look like that poster of the fat kid in ninja gear that everyone quotes as saying "I'm from the internet, I'm here to help."
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Did anyone notice his "rough men stand ready" quote citation? I thought it was George Orwell, not Orson Wells.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Weetabix wrote:Did anyone notice his "rough men stand ready" quote citation? I thought it was George Orwell, not Orson Wells.
HAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Combat Controller
Site Admin

In his profile photos he's carrying an AR with no rear sight. I guess in CQB you don't need one, that action is so fast and close. Plus he looks like he spends all day playing farmville.

You think he really shows up to serve warrants poking an AR at the perps? I think all the photos are just posing.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Pretty sure the "Rough Men" quote was by Teddy Roosevelt...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aglifter wrote:Pretty sure the "Rough Men" quote was by Teddy Roosevelt...
This is a bit interesting. I'm a fond of quotes, so I like to get them right and attribute them right.

If I google "rough men stand ready" I get lots of attributions to George Orwell, a couple to Winston Churchill, a lot of statements that Orwell never said it (but that do not say who did say it), and a few references to Kipling. But I find nothing that says, "X said it in Y publication about Z."

I've always heard it attributed to Orwell, but with no evidence, I may have to just stop saying, "I think it was Orwell who said..."

Have you got a direct citation for Roosevelt's having said it? I must admit I don't have time to research it in much depth.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Erik

Post by Erik »

I've heard the "Rough men" quote attributed to Orwell too, but googling now it seems I cant find a source for the exact quote. The closest actual quote I found was:
"Those who "abjure" violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."
It's in "Notes on Nationalism" (1945)
And in his essay on Rudyard Kipling (1942), Orwell wrote:
"[Kipling] sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them."
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne