Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Bullspit

Re: Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

Post by Bullspit »

As long as the knife is well designed, I've gotten to the point where I prefer no guard. The one exception would be a knife I was planning to do a lot of stabbing with.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Denis

Post by Denis »

Denis wrote:I visited a new-to-me gunshop in Germany over the holidays, and picked up a new-old-stock Pukko knife there. It looks pretty good, though not as nice as the Saami handcrafted ones I found in Norway a few years ago. Pictures when I get a tuit.
I got half a tuit...

My new knife is from Iisakki Järvenpää Oy. It's style number 5218 in that photo. 13cm blade, 24cm overall length.
deathrider1579

Post by deathrider1579 »

I really like the Mora knives, I have about 5 of them and they have never failed to conquer the task I set them to, the edge has extreme durability and sharpens up easily with just a normal stone (this from a guy who can't use a stone on a normal pocket knife to save his life).

I also have one of those Marttiini knives which is as good or better (def. a better sheath) than the Moras and cost the same $10.

My box o knives has several $100+ knives in it from good manufacturers, probably the only expensive ones that get used and abused as much as the moras are the Becker BK7 and a couple Cold Steel knives all of which I tend to hesitate to use because they are more difficult to sharpen after I'm done with them. (I honestly don't see any use for anything other than a Scandi grind on a knife).

Anyhow my $0.02 is to get a couple Mora knives they are pretty stinkin awesome... the sheaths suck though.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Erik wrote:
Denis wrote:
Erik wrote:It does have the same handle form, but you'll have a hard time losing it.
Indeed. I've seen those orange "green knives". Now all it needs is a decent finger guard, like the Mora boy-scout knife.
Yeah, I have to agree. As I've said before, the lack of a decent finger guard is my main problem with Moras...
All my Moras are in the Craftsman series, I have a 740, a 780 and a bunch of 760's, in different colors. 2 of the 760's are that bright orange and they live in emergency kits. They have nicely shaped handles and finger guards- in fact IMO they have too much finger guard, they'd be better for food prep (and just as safe) with a smaller guard. One of these days I'll get a round tuit and trim down the guards.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

CombatController wrote:Denis, I still have the Saami one you gave me a few years ago! I used it a while back for some whittling I had to do and it turned the trick nicely.
The one he sent me has done up about 18 caribou, 2 whitetails and a moose and other then touching it up with a steel in the field a few times I haven't sharpened it.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Denis

Post by Denis »

SeekHer wrote:
CombatController wrote:Denis, I still have the Saami one you gave me a few years ago! I used it a while back for some whittling I had to do and it turned the trick nicely.
The one he sent me has done up about 18 caribou, 2 whitetails and a moose and other then touching it up with a steel in the field a few times I haven't sharpened it.
Glad it's holding up! I regret not buying more of those particular knives when I saw them. The little old Saami guy selling them looked like he knew his stuff; I think he was pleased that I had examined and rejected the tourist-trinket knife-shaped-objects on his stall - he took the "good" knives out from under the counter. If holidaying in Norway hadn't been so shockingly expensive, I would have bought a few more...
toad

Post by toad »

I'm surprised you didn't have to take a few shots of Vodka with him before he sold you the good stuff :lol:
Denis

Post by Denis »

toad wrote:I'm surprised you didn't have to take a few shots of Vodka with him before he sold you the good stuff :lol:
If I can ever find him again, I'll buy the shots and a few more of those knives...