9x19 vs 9x21 vs .38 Super vs 9x23 vs .357 mag

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
HTRN

Re: 9x19 vs 9x21 vs .38 Super vs 9x23 vs .357 mag

Post by HTRN »

CombatController wrote:You forgot to compare .357 sig in your listings. Fast Rope had some 124's going 1600 fps out of his 5 inch XD IIRC.
Max loads listed by Hodgdon is around 1450 with a 124. Either he has a "fast" barrel, or he's over the limit.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

mousegun wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:And while I'm thinking about stuff like this, why haven't the boffins ever put together a rimless .357 Magnum for the PDW crowd? They could use the same cartridge dimensions, just rimless to feed into a semi-auto or automatic weapon.
Basically a 351 WSL but in true rimless and true 357 diameter.

You MIGHT be able to do it with a 223 head diameter and brass but it's gonna be real close.
I looked at that once and it's a tight fit. They'd be better off with a case that matches the .357 Magnum's dimensions exactly excepting the rim of course.

Also, the Ammo Encyclopedia that was selling used on Amazon for $400 is now in print again in paperback. I think it's around $20 or so now.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

His primers weren't flattened and I have run them over my chrony as well. It's pretty impressive.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I've gotten 1150fps out of 5.5 grains of Universal under a 180-grain bullet from my .40 S&W 1911 before if my chronograph is to be believed. The indoor temperature was about 93 and the indoor lighting kit did nothing to help eliminate the errors when I was trying it out.

I suspect there was something else going on and I was getting a bad reading off of the chronograph (Chrony Gamma Master) when those bullets went through. Otherwise I have to wonder if I broke some physical laws of the universe.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

CByrneIV wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:I've gotten 1150fps out of 5.5 grains of Universal under a 180-grain bullet from my .40 S&W 1911 before if my chronograph is to be believed. The indoor temperature was about 93 and the indoor lighting kit did nothing to help eliminate the errors when I was trying it out.

I suspect there was something else going on and I was getting a bad reading off of the chronograph (Chrony Gamma Master) when those bullets went through. Otherwise I have to wonder if I broke some physical laws of the universe.
1150fps from a 5" .40 S&W 180gr is perfectly believable; though not with that powder and chargeweight.
That's what surprised me. I checked the rest of the unfired loads out of that batch of 50, they all had the same powder and weight. It's why I think it was an error with the chronograph as I got similar results when testing out the recipe. I would have expected it if I loaded it with 7 grains of Longshot, but not the Universal.

FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

HTRN wrote:
CombatController wrote:You forgot to compare .357 sig in your listings. Fast Rope had some 124's going 1600 fps out of his 5 inch XD IIRC.
Max loads listed by Hodgdon is around 1450 with a 124. Either he has a "fast" barrel, or he's over the limit.
Setup was as follows:
XD with a 6" Bar-sto barrel
125 gr montana gold 357 sig purpose built bullet
fresh Starline brass
CCI small pistol primers
Longshot and/or AA#9 powders can't remember which ~.1-.2 gr below book max
Temp was over 100*f, so probably a factor

Primers flattened somewhat, but not dramatically. They definitely didn't flow.
I saw speeds close to 1600FPS, but I don't think we actually breached that mark. none the less it was pretty astounding.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

HTRN wrote:
Bah, that's liability prone lawyer stuff.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

CombatController wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Bah, that's liability prone lawyer stuff.
I think that liability is the main reason why Hodgdon never publishes its .357 Magnum loads that use LilGun as rifle loads, only as pistol loads. The awesomeness may be too much to contain for an 1892-style action. Seriously, though, a 158-grain bullet going 1600-1750 fps? That's a lot of ouch out of the end of a rifle.