12ga,10ga,8ga,4ga FH; 585HE/700HE; Other Big bores--

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Re: 12ga,10ga,8ga,4ga FH; 585HE/700HE; Other Big bores--

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote:Awaiting HTRN's statement-of-purpose in 3-2-1.....
Because BIGGER IS BETTER. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

The .700 WTF was recently shown at some other gun blogs (and yes, WTF stands for what you think it does):
The .700 WTF : For Hunting Dinosaurs

A member of the Cast Boolits forums posted photos and video of a rifle and .700 caliber cartridge he designed. The only component he did not make himself was the barrel.

The cartridge, named the .700 WTF ("What The F...") and is made by fire forming a .50 BMG brass case, trimming it to 3" in length and then sizing it. The round is loaded with a 1132 grain paper patched .700 lead cast bullet.

The rifle, with just a 16.25" barrel, can push the 1132 grain of lead up to 2300 fps. Thats 13,000 ft/lbs of energy, right up there with the .50 BMG and far exceeding the .700 Nitro Express. The cast lead bullet has enough energy to pass clean through a 1/4" steel plate.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... dinosaurs/

Ah, here's the original:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124685

And here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... FYXTH7Gdhk
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Something I dreamed up a while ago:
The McBros repeating BMG action has a 1.25" bolt diameter and a 5.6" mag length. Those are the max dimensions for any cartridge used in that action..

A 14.5x114mm Sov machine gun cartridge case is roughly 1.062 at the base, with a case length of 4.5". The rim is larger and thicker than the 50 bmg so it will need to be recut. 20x102mm is another possiblity.

Now here's were it gets interesting - Kreiger sells .950 groove barrels . take the case, swage a belt onto it(CH4D will make you belt swaging dies), put a slight bottle neck onto it, and you're in business. If you decide to make your own bullets, a large(1.5" probably) copper tube cap, drawn down into a jacket is probably easiest, although you can probably also make it from 1" tube. Once you have that, swage some cores, flux the jacket, insert core, stick in a toaster oven, and then noseform, and you got yourself half pound bonded soft points. You can probably get at least 2000 ft/second out of them, so it roughly translates to a minimum of 30K foot pounds.

Anybody wanna loan me 40 or 50 grand for the parts tools and equipment needed to do all that? :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

So, would YOU shoot it, or talk someone else into trying it? :lol:
I am reminded of a post I made some years ago, about some famous great white hunter back in the day. He stated that he regretted shooting some of the guns he'd used, IIRC he felt that his health was permanently affected.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

HTRN you should hit Chris up with his fancy new shop!

Jeebus those are some monsters. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. I would say that we need a new type of competition, one based on sheer penetration, or wound channel size. Like boomer shoot but with 12 foot long ballistics Gelatin tubs.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
hubel585

Post by hubel585 »

I have a 14,5 russian brass case expanded to 12ga just to look at.
But I'm not a big fan of necked cases. And I find it's
easier to make a 4bore or 2 bore.

Quite a few have wanted doubles in our 12GA long case.
Rob is doing one on a big 10ga Zabala double,with Greener
crossbolt lock. He is replacing 10ga barrels with heavy
12ga rifled barrels, mono-blocked into the 10ga breaches
by threading them into the breach sections.
First,2nd,3rd pictures. He is now building and getting
barrel ribs done and the gun regulated.

4th picture is my 700HE in a Vulcan bolt action.
5th is the 6gal water pail from the Youtube video, atomizing.
The pail was heavy plastic, full and sealed tight.
That was 12ga 600gr hollow point slug about 3000 fps.

CASES-1st is comparison of 12ga FH brass cases, with ours on the
left we made using bmg brass, and 3 on the right that
are of a few we found already done in 12ga size, that is
as long as ours.RMC makes them long as ours and any length needed.
2nd is our long case next to short one.You can see how much
thicker and stronger our case is.

3rd is a slug made for rifled, for use in 12ga wadcup, and it
being 16ga size works in our 16ga FH case also, as shown.
4th shows 20ga RMC cases and dies we have found for them.

5th shows 1500gr 4bore slugs a guy cast for me and cases.
These are hollowbase, as our 4 and 8 gauges on the falling
blocks, are smoothbore. Top loads with these 25-2700.Ed

Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Well, the big bore shoot involves defending Juliff from a scourge of milk jugs...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:Something I dreamed up a while ago:
The McBros repeating BMG action has a 1.25" bolt diameter and a 5.6" mag length. Those are the max dimensions for any cartridge used in that action..

A 14.5x114mm Sov machine gun cartridge case is roughly 1.062 at the base, with a case length of 4.5". The rim is larger and thicker than the 50 bmg so it will need to be recut. 20x102mm is another possiblity.

Now here's were it gets interesting - Kreiger sells .950 groove barrels . take the case, swage a belt onto it(CH4D will make you belt swaging dies), put a slight bottle neck onto it, and you're in business. If you decide to make your own bullets, a large(1.5" probably) copper tube cap, drawn down into a jacket is probably easiest, although you can probably also make it from 1" tube. Once you have that, swage some cores, flux the jacket, insert core, stick in a toaster oven, and then noseform, and you got yourself half pound bonded soft points. You can probably get at least 2000 ft/second out of them, so it roughly translates to a minimum of 30K foot pounds.

Anybody wanna loan me 40 or 50 grand for the parts tools and equipment needed to do all that? :mrgreen:
If you ever do make it, a week later there will be video of a guy handing one to his girlfriend the first time he takes her shooting.

Seriously though, I'd imagine you'd need one heckuva muzzle brake on THAT puppy to avoid doing serious damage to your skeleton. And there better not be anyone standing next to the muzzle brake who wants to continue hearing.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CombatController wrote:HTRN you should hit Chris up with his fancy new shop!
Oh, I can build it myself, I just need money for a bigger lathe, money for parts, money for a Corbin Hydro Swage, just well... money. ;)

And in case you guys haven't figured it out yet, there's no way in hell I'm building such a monstrosity. This goes beyond "Overkill" and into "Ludicrous" territory. Unless they manage to clone brachiepods, then I'm all set. :mrgreen:

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Heck, I'd just like some heavier slugs that will fit in a 2 1/2" .410 shell that won't wreck my old Iver-Johnson Champion while wrecking deer, coyotes and other animals that traipse too close to the house. 109 grains won't cut it!
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds