Recommend a new pocket knife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Termite

Re: Recommend a new pocket knife

Post by Termite »

Personally I like Spyderco Enduras. I have a couple for EDC knives, along with my SAK Tinkerer.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I really liked my blackout until it grew legs and walked away. The size of the handle was one of the best points. It really filled the hand. Now your hands, Ag, it still might be too small.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Good thread. I appear to have lost my latest Buck 110, so I've been following it with interest, since I'm thinking of going with something more modern for a replacement.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Well, I already ordered the Rift - got it from knifeworks.com for ~135 shipped, w. the DLC coated version - quite a bit cheaper than other vendors.

I may get a leek as well, or something else which is thin - I didn't look to see how thick the rift was, since I intend that to be a work knife.

I don't like traditional lock-backs, however, since my hand tends to release the lock when using the knife.

I realize some other members think its illogical, but part of it was that the rift is a "blue" knife, and, according to Benchmade's info, the knife, scales, and blade are all made in the US.

(I spend far too much effort trying to work around inferior Chinese $&%(%) which has displaced American made industrial components. CC made good stuff in China, so I know its possible, but anything associated w. industrial controllers or dairy, IME, from the ChiComs is pure trash.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Only problem I've had with my Kershaw Leeks is that the tip comes to such a needle point that it's real easy to damage it. My stainless steel Leek is my "dressy" & workplace knife (the thinner blade is perfect for digging dust-bunnies out of heatsinks...), and my Blur is my normal EDC knife.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

FWIW, Amazon has the Blur on sale for $30. http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Folding-K ... 111&sr=8-2

I just bought two, as I am in the habit of losing pocket knives
marcs

Post by marcs »

rightisright wrote:FWIW, Amazon has the Blur on sale for $30. http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Folding-K ... 111&sr=8-2

I just bought two, as I am in the habit of losing pocket knives
Thanks for the pointer
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

CRKT- Columbia River Knife and Tool is by far my favourite folder maker with great collaboration pieces with many gifted and noted designers.

Benchmade, Emerson, Harsey/Paul and Strider for workhorse knives but a bit more in cost.

Entrek have some folders that are just lovely--my next purchase as I've started collecting this company, hard.

Condor Tool & Knife as well as Ontario Knife Company have some very nice pieces, reasonably priced.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I bought a CKRT M21-04G a couple months ago, and I like it so far. I didn't notice the "china" on the box until after I'd bought it, but oh well. I'm not going to spend $200 on a pocket knife that I am probably just going to lose eventually.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Cybrludite wrote:Only problem I've had with my Kershaw Leeks is that the tip comes to such a needle point
I was a dumbass with my Leek a couple of weeks ago--I was using it to cut a cable tie in a tight space, should have been using a pair of side cutters instead. The cable tie snapped, the needle point of the blade hit the side of my other hand's thumb, must've gone in an inch! It didn't hit anything vital, but boy, did it bleed... Prolly should have got stitches, I just washed it out and let it bleed a while, then put compression on it, and taped it closed with waterproof tape. I hit it with peroxide and povidone/iodine a few times, it healed right up. :oops: :?
Eppur si muove--Galileo