Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jered

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Jered »

I'm working on Atlas Shrugged.

It's ok. Ayn Rand's sexual views. WTF.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:I'm working on Atlas Shrugged.

It's ok. Ayn Rand's sexual views. WTF.
What about them?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Just Ordered:
Sniper: American Single-Shot Warriors in Iraq and Afghanistan.....Larsen.....Matt
Hunters: U.S. Snipers in the War on Terror.....Afong.....Milo S.
Sniping In The Great War.....Pegler.....Martin
Sniper Anthology: Snipers of the Second World War.....Pegler.....Martin--pre-order Nov 2011 release date
Sniper Rifles: From the 19th to the 21st Century.....Pegler.....Martin
Sniper: A History of the US Marksman.....Pegler.....Martin
Osprey Weapons: The Lee-Enfield Rifle.....Pegler.....Martin

Jack Hinson's One-Man War, A Civil War Sniper.....McKenney.....Tom
Sharpshooting in the Civil War.....Plaster.....John, Mjr.
Sharpshooters (1750-1900): The Men, Their Guns, Their Story.....Yee.....Gary
Sniper Ace: From the Eastern Front to Siberia.....Sutkus.....Bruno
Red Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Joseph Pilyushin.....Pilyushin.....Joseph

Dead Shot.....Coughlin.....Jack, Sgt......Fiction--His first book was very well done, so why not
Clean Kill.....Coughlin.....Jack, Sgt......Fiction
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Patrick O'Brian. Master and Commander series. Finished Master and Commander. Reading H.M.S. Surprise. Got a copy of The Far Side of the World on hand.

We are finding copies at different places.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Finished The Diamond Age, now almost done with Tom Kratman's Caliphate.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Recently finished 'The Hill' (see my post above for link and further information), and am now rereading The Expendables:

(another GREAT Leonard B. Scott book).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

TheArmsman wrote:Between my GF, (a long-haired, red-headed belly-dancer)
Sounds familiar, except...

Er... OK, so I have a history w. red-heads and ballet teachers - but, take heed of the hard-learned lessons of others: Learn to duck...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Denis

Post by Denis »

I just finished Gears and gearcutting, by Ivan Law, and I just started Workshop Techniques by George H. Thomas.

BTW, the Book Depository (first link above) is having a summer sale, and they offer free worldwide shipping, which is handy for some of these machining reference books from the UK.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Denis wrote:BTW, the Book Depository (first link above) is having a summer sale, and they offer free worldwide shipping, which is handy for some of these machining reference books from the UK.
I ordered one book from them last time you mentioned it. Paid US$13.28, and it was shipped airmail 5000 miles from the UK to Porland, Oregon. SOMEONE lost money on that deal, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me...
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Denis

Post by Denis »

Aegis wrote:
Denis wrote:BTW, the Book Depository (first link above) is having a summer sale, and they offer free worldwide shipping, which is handy for some of these machining reference books from the UK.
I ordered one book from them last time you mentioned it. Paid US$13.28, and it was shipped airmail 5000 miles from the UK to Porland, Oregon. SOMEONE lost money on that deal, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me...
Indeed. I have bought nearly a full set of the "special interest" model engineering books for way less than half the cover price, and all shipped gratis. I don't know how they can be making money. I suppose it's because they carry the "long tail" and those books are almost given away by publishing houses, who would otherwise have to store them someplace, or pay money to pulp them.

BTW, if anyone else is thinking of trying the Book Depository, let me know - I believe I received some sort of offer recently - if I recommend you, you get an additional 10% off, and so do I or somesuch...