would a Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 work too?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

would a Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 work too?

Post by Precision »

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Re: would a Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 work too?

Post by randy »

My only slight nit pick with the article is that technicals were being deployed (especially by Chad) effectively much earlier than 1987. I remember news reports from the late 70's, and read intel reports on them in the early 80's.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

American diesel 4x4 trucks might work (keep in mind, that the Toyota's of the Third World are much, much lighter than full-size American pick ups. Think older Ford Ranger/Chevy S-10 size) if you could get rid of all the emission control crap American diesel engines have been burdened with for a couple decades now.

The Toyota Hi-Luxes we had for tooling around inside the wire at Bagram all had 4 cylinder diesels.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Precision

Post by Precision »

I wish we could get diesel Hi-Luxes here. I would already own one. As it is, I am buying a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 over the weekend assuming the mechanic says it is good. Then tune up the 4x2 gasser and sell her. It's been way too long since I owed a diesel 4x4. But life (and death) intervened.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I wish somebody would make a light pick-up of that size/weight class for sale here...because yeah, I'd be all over it. I think the lightest one currently on the market is the Nissan Frontier. But it's a bloat-box compared to those Hi-Luxes (or the old light pick-ups Toyota and Nissan/Datsun used to sell). The others in that market segment - the Tacoma, Dakota, and Colorado - are even more bloated. Of those, the Colorado is the only one that can be had with a diesel.

How much of that is consumer demand and how much is government mandate (safety, emissions, etc), I don't know.

One thing I always wondered about with Dodge and the Cummins: back when they were Daimler-Chrysler, they would have had access to Mercedes diesels - and anyone who's spent time in Germany knows that Mercedes builds lots of truck diesels. (I recall once, sitting in a defensive position at Hohenfels, hearing a big diesel rumbling toward us, but still out of view. Dutifully called it up to higher, everyone gets ready for the OPFOR. Turns out it was a Mercedes garbage truck taking a shortcut through our exercise. :lol: ) So why not use that tried and tested in-house option? Name recognition with Cummins? (And the Cummins is now available in the Nissan Titan.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
evan price

Post by evan price »

American epa standards are tighter than euros. To meet epa standards would require DPF and after treatment. Toyota has said they will not invest that money into a small market.
Toyota already has a twin turbo diesel V8, the 1VD-FTV that is iirc 270hp and 470tq. It's used in land cruisers overseas.

For a while Nissan and Toyota were working with Cummins to make a new light duty 5 liter v8 diesel ; Toyota pulled out and Nissan kept the motor for the Titan.

Jeep put an Italian diesel in the Liberty briefly.

I picked up five surplus F250 super duty trucks from my second job, three of them are 7.3 Powerstroke intercooled turbo diesels. I'm keeping one for myself...Just in time for Ohio to raise the diesel fuel tax twenty cents a gallon.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

The 3.0L Eco Diesel is available in Dodge 1500 still? Still, a much heavier vehicle than talking about here.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 am The 3.0L Eco Diesel is available in Dodge 1500 still? Still, a much heavier vehicle than talking about here.
those command a HUGE premium in the used market.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cummins has a 2.8l crate motor for retrofitting, iirc, its epa kosher for up to model year 2000. A bit pricey at 9k. Would make an interesting motor in like 68-72 half ton shortbed - advanced adapters has an adapter to bolt it to a 4l80e automatic.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt