Pistol lights

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Re: Pistol lights

Post by Rich Jordan »

I can control the OLight on the XD with my firing hand but its a bit of a stretch to press the switch enough to activate. Not quite to the point of shifting grip but still not great.

With two hands the OLight should work ok (didn't try much while swapping)
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

In case anyone's looking, battery junction has the OLight PL1 II Valkyrie _and_ the PL-MINI Valkyrie on black friday sale for $44.96 and $47.97 respectively. Free shipping over $50 so toss in a battery or two. Lots of other lights including other weapon lights from many brands.

No connection except as a customer; I buy my CR123 batteries from them, and my last two EDC lights.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

I've got a Surefire XC-1. Quite compact, fits beneath a Glock 19 with no projections. Not the brightest light, but it won't kill your night vision, either.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I got one of the $55 PL-Mini lights (ordered it before the battery junction sale, darnit). So far only tried it on the Sig P320. It is so close to working. Definitely short enough and the switches are just a touch to short; if they were push switches they'd be ok but on this particular light, they actually need to be pushed down not pressed in. Again just a tiny bit too far forward to easily do that with my trigger finger without shifting my hand position (or using the left hand). I wish the position of the little bar that locks into the rail was adjustable! It's a couple millimeters from being ok.

We'll see how it looks on the XD tonight. I think the bigger Valkyrie will get mounted on something else.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

And the PL-Mini works almost perfectly on the XD(M). The switches actually reach a little bit inside the inside front og the trigger guard so its easy to operate. I think that means the Micro90 will end up on the Sig.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I run a light in the off hand so I can make it point where I want without muzzling things. I have never been a fan of pistol lights. I am sure I am wrong as most people have or want them, but...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I am not sure you are wrong. I have a laser on my pocket pistol, and that may end up being the preferred device on any HD handgun. Covering with the muzzle is a serious issue; I don't have training in interior clearance or specific night-shoot training (shortcomings I hope to address). I have a light on the nightstand and my EDC in the pocket whenever I'm normally clothed, though neither is a really bright 'tactical' that may end up being the preferred option too. But I'm happy knowing what works and what doesn't on the rail-equipped pistols.

I have a Manta Ray rail mounted light for carbine (its too long for any pistol) that puts out a fairly floody 'mint green' light; it would be useless past 10-12 yards but illuminates well enough to the sides of the line of the muzzle that I think it somewhat mitigates the 'muzzling' issue. And it comes off easily, being just a rubbery snap-on on the rail (got it cheap on clearance; at the $85 Amazon price now I don't think its worth it).
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have a small light MFT, I think that rail mounts on what used to be my HD AR. It casts a 30 lumen light in more of an arc than a beam. Probably 40 degrees out to 25 yards. I really like that for inside the house. Pretty useless outside but it take a flat disk battery and is less than half an inch high, so... Will have to look and see where it is. Perhaps relocate it to the 300 BLO AR pistol that does HD duty now.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/