Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Cybrludite

Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite

Post by Cybrludite »

Posting here, since the actual gun board is MIA.

I've often cited field stripping a Ruger Mk series pistol as proof of Bill Ruger's hatred for the average gun owner. I sold my Mk III 22/45 in a fit of "rent is due WHEN?!?" last year, and replaced it on Saturday with the Mk IV version. They've gone from the most difficult pistol the strip & reassemble to the easiest. It's like going from double-clutching a balky "three on the tree' to a modern automatic transmission.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Gunnuts

Re: Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite

Post by Gunnuts »

Agreed.

I bought a 22/45 MkIV for myself the first of the year.

Always loved shooting other peoples' but had always held off buying one because of the suck of stripping one and putting it back together (that goes for a lot of other brands/models, too). Needing tools or three hands to strip a gun was a no go for me.

Although the MkIII redesign horrified me that Ruger was going the wrong direction, they redeemed themselves with the MkIV. Big time. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Someone told me the other day that the older ones weren't really supposed to be taken apart to clean. Hose them down with gun scrubber, shoot in some CLP and do the rest with brushes. Don't know if that's true or not. Haven't tried it yet on my Mark II.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Weetabix wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:39 pm Someone told me the other day that the older ones weren't really supposed to be taken apart to clean. Hose them down with gun scrubber, shoot in some CLP and do the rest with brushes. Don't know if that's true or not. Haven't tried it yet on my Mark II.
Someone was making excuses for shitty design. The Ruger .22 pistols predate gun scrubber, CLP, and other aerosol gun cleaning products by a few decades. If you want a Mark IV though you should probably buy one sooner rather than later. Given some of the anti-gun crap that Ruger's biggest shareholders are forcing on them, they are likely to not be with us for too much longer. The idiots are placing virtue signalling over the value of their investment... It boggles the mind.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 pm The idiots are placing virtue signalling over the value of their investment... It boggles the mind.
I imagine the investment was in virtue signaling rather than in the stock itself.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D