propane generator, factory or kit?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Michaelser

propane generator factory or kit

Post by Michaelser »

I have a cousin who lives in Cabo and is considering getting a generator for his small hotel. I mentioned to him that it might be years before he needs to use it. Knowing that all gasoline goes bad, I mentioned a propane powered one... but I have no experience with one so I am asking what anyones experiences are with one... good, bad ?
Sport nutrition here: https://www.sportzfuel.com/
HTRN

Re: propane generator, factory or kit?

Post by HTRN »

Standbys are either propane/ng or diesel, with the larger ones generally are diesel. Treated diesel has a shelf life of years.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Dual or tri-fuel generators make a little less power on natural gas or propane than they do on gasoline. The one I bought (Champion 3500) does 3200 running watts (3500 peak) on gasoline, and 2880 running watts (3150 peak) on propane. Pretty sure natural gas would be the same as propane.
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

You de-rate a propane generator if you convert it to run on nat gas. Ng isn’t as energy dense.

We use a lot of 14 and 20 kw gensets at work, and the engines lose about 2kw on the spec’ed power rating when using ng vs propane.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:30 am Treated diesel has a shelf life of years.
As does avgas. I've solved generator fuel problems by mixing 2 gals of avgas to 3 gals of non-ethanol mogas. Works like a charm, but DON'T put it in your modern car unless you want to replace the cat.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

True, but now you're talking some rather exotic measures to get it past two years, like using nitrogen to purge the storage tank to prevent gum formation.

Meanwhile, a diesel tank treated with PRI, and a water separator can go decades. If you really want to do long teem storage, jet A is probably the best option, as it dissent seem to get the algae and other growth issues as bad as regular # 2 low sulfur does, but then you have the lubricity issue..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm ...... jet A is probably the best option, as it doesnt seem to get the algae and other growth issues as bad as regular # 2 low sulfur does, but then you have the lubricity issue..
Add about 5% biodiesel. It has a high lubricity factor. Or some ordinary atf fluid, about one qt per 50 gals(200:1 ratio). We use to do the atf "trick" to burn kerosene in our farm tractors, while keeping the injector pumps lubricated.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."