Citizens' Band Radio

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Citizens' Band Radio

Post by Weetabix »

I've been interested in CB for a while, but not interested enough to spend any money.

Saw a Royce 1-632 SSB/AM unit at a garage sale for $5. So I bought it. I was meeting a guy to buy a shotgun, and Oh! Look! This place has a CB shop. Took it in, and they tested it. All good. Bought an antenna and mag mount. $60. So, the radio cost 1/12 the antenna. :D

When I had my amateur mobile installed, I had them run some power straight from the battery and leave me some taped leads in the cab. Put an Anderson Power Pole on it this weekend, and one on the end of the CB power. Tuned the antenna, and Bob's your uncle.

Went to sit by the highway and see what I could hear. It sounded like the silliest of Cletus from Smokey and the Bandit x 2. :roll:

Is CB worth bothering with in general? I could see it maybe being useful if you're out in the boonies with friends who have it, but in general, is it useful on the road any more?

ETA: interestingly, this radio was manufactured the year Smokey and the Bandit came out.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MarkD

Re: Citizens' Band Radio

Post by MarkD »

Posted for amusement

https://youtu.be/F7y_ZxNNsSw
Rich

Post by Rich »

The way I've always looked at it, it's another form of communication in the local area. I've always carried a plug-in (to the cigarette lighter power) and a magnetic mount antenna for the roof of the car/truck I was in so I could receive reports on road conditions, accidents and other possible hazards. Now with cell phones and such, the need has diminished, but if your not in range of a cell tower, it hasn't entirely disappeared. And yes, what you hear can be pretty silly.

So, are you going to get your rubber ducky on?
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
randy

Post by randy »

I know several organizations such as RV'ers, motorbike clubs and Jeep/off road clubs that use CB for intercom when on their excursions.

I can monitor 11 meters on my HF radio in the truck. I've occasionally scanned through that band to try to get info on traffic, etc. and never found anything useful. I also did not want to have that dreck (I'm talking obscenity, not just stupidity) coming from the speakers with my wife and daughter in the vehicle.

So I've quit carrying anything that can transmit on that band, although I still have my radios from the 70's and 80's in the garage and can hook them up quickly if need be.

And while the service is intended for local communications, it does get interesting when the bands open up and you hear conversations from hundreds of miles away. Especially with a user group with no understanding of RF communications beyond turning the power switch.

Bottom line, not a bad capability to have in the tool box, if you have a need, use it, but as my entire family and most of my local friends have amateur license I don't personally have much use for it.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I guess I can box it up and leave it in the back. This one has an old click dial and no scan capability. I had a scanner going so I could find a channel to listen to. The mag mount antenna up top plugged into the scanner was much better than the rubber duck on the scanner.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Just make sure you put the metal to the pedal and the thing to the floor. :ugeek:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

And keep my shiny butt up and my greasy hair down?
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Keep the bugs off your glass and the bears off your ass!
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Keep your fifth wheel greasy.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.