What $10 K 4 X 4 Truck

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
DavidB

What $10 K 4 X 4 Truck

Post by DavidB »

(hope this is the right place- no back porch?)
OK what I would like- 4x4 truck, 4 door super/crew
cab type, 6 or 8 cyl., manual or auto- usage, think fire roads in AZ-
for about 10 K-
what and why, if you please.
randy

Re: What $10 K 4 X 4 Truck

Post by randy »

DavidB wrote:(hope this is the right place- no back porch?)
We have the Kitchen table here.

But Gear Talk works.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Post by g-man »

Tacoma. You'll have to look around pretty hard to find a 4x4 with decent (under 150k) mileage for under $10k, as lots of them are of the 'pre-runner' 2wd variety. If you can get one with a locker in the diff, the pre-runner will deal with fire roads easily, and cost a LOT less than a 4x4. But at or just above the $10k mark you should be able to find something, given a little time.

Reason: pretty much impossible to kill them.

Another option: Nissan Frontier. The motors are bulletproof, and they're slightly less expensive than a Tacoma. I'd at least go and look at them for comparison's sake.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I would be very VERY happy with either a Tacoma or Frontier. Here in Phoenix both are very difficult to find. An auto broker, with whom I've done business, suggested a Ford F150 or even a Chevy Colorado, citing availability and affordability. I've never owned American, not opposed.
It will be for prospecting, camping, fishing, shooting, but probably not much tougher conditions than I've been to with our 2003 AWD Highlander.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I can't speak from personal experience, but I've never heard anything good about those 5 cylinders they put in the Colorado.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Mid to late 70s Ford or GM 3/4 ton sourced from a "rust free" state, outfitted with new running gear and wiring.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

Tundra. 4.7 v8 lasts forever. Get a 2004 Double cab and you get the good 4-spd trans, the 4.7 without the air injection and 4 full size doors.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Precision

Post by Precision »

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Arizona fire roads are generally well maintained. I might want 4WD for snow, but most of the year 2wd is just fine.

A Ford will have a much better turning radius than a Chevy, so if you have switchbacks or have to get around a tight turn that can be a blessing. The Tacomas mentioned above are also considerably smaller than a full size truck, so if you have boulders or debris slides to navigate around that is obviously bennificial.

Probably have better luck finding a Toyota with a stick shift as well, I don't think the US companies have made a crew cab with a stick in a decade or more.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Arizona fire roads are generally well maintained. I might want 4WD for snow, but most of the year 2wd is just fine.
True.
I'm saying "AZ fire roads" as a kind of shorthand to imply it is not going to be used for hard core 4 X 4- not joining any clubs. This is
a truck for domestic truck use in town, hauling a small fishing boat (someday!) and, yes, fire roads for camping, sight seeing. That said, the
dirt road out of Cherry, AZ had a lot of recent wash out due to monsoon rains and I was glad to have even the AWD of the Highlander.
A 4 X 4 truck would add a lot of peace of mind when travelling with family.
That older Tundra recommendation has a lot of charm- it would be worth the wait for the right deal.