Just in time for Halloween.....

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
First Shirt

Re: Just in time for Halloween.....

Post by First Shirt »

Aesop wrote: But I could see getting a 4000 lumen light, for pupil checks on obnoxious drunkaholics and ODs. :twisted:
Great! Now you've got an OD with terminal sunburn!! I like it!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
skb12172 wrote:Link to the Chinese light please!
Which, the 12 dollar 18650, or the 5 dollar AA?

Keep in mind, that at this price point, there is a nonzero chance of getting a dud.
Yes, and be very wary of the batteries and charger too.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

I happen to have one of HTRN's AA models(different brand, same emitter). If you think it actually puts out 300 lumens on one AA, I have some ocean front property in Arkansas I'll sell you. It's more like 90-100 lumens.

Still pretty good for the price, though.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:

Keep in mind, that at this price point, there is a nonzero chance of getting a dud.

Yeah, the combination of Cheap, Chinese and Li Battery makes me want to check my homeowners insurance fire coverage.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

rightisright wrote:
Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote: Which, the 12 dollar 18650, or the 5 dollar AA?

Yeah, the combination of Cheap, Chinese and Li Battery makes me want to check my homeowners insurance fire coverage.
Oh, I'd NEVER buy cheap rechargeable.

All my handy flashlights use AAA or AA batteries, mostly because I can drop into anyplace in Brooklyn and buy fresh ones should the need arise. It's NICE relying on the same batteries the local doofi (plural of doofus) use in their TV remotes. No need to scrounge up anything exotic. At home I have some lights that use D's and I buy AA, AAA and D's at Costco regularly, and in whenever I'm on Costco and can't recall the last time I bought some, or if I DO recall opening the last pack.

And the flashlights are cheap enough that when I see them on sale I grab a few more, just to have on hand. My wife jokes about that, that I buy flashlights like she buys shoes. Until, of course, the lights go out, then she's not laughing.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

HTRN wrote:

Both?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

skb12172 wrote:
HTRN wrote:

Both?
Yes. The super cheap generic Chinese stuff is like a box of chocolates. Nobody seems to know what they have - you could buy half a dozen of the 'same' item from the same vendor at the same time and get 3 or 4 different superficially similar things. No assurance they'll all work either, but any DOA's are most often just poor quality control and you've got a good chance of being able to fix it yourself.

Well that's true of the flashlights. For the super cheap Chinese rechargeable batteries, you can be 100% certain they are counterfeit in some way. If you're lucky, you'll get cells that were quality when new, but were picked out of a recycling bucket and had new wrappers shrink fit on. If you're not lucky.....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr