School me on ponchos

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

School me on ponchos

Postby Weetabix » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:56 pm

I like ponchos. They throw over bodies and gear easily. You can rig them for shelter. But I've had bad luck buying them. The current one I have doesn't really repel so much as conduct water.

I'd like something that's:
- larger rather than smaller
- lighter rather than heavier
- relatively packable
- durable
- has grommets/snaps that you can run cord through.
- green or gray as opposed to camo (this isn't a deal breaker)

You hear about military ponchos all the time, but I've not found a good source for one. My current one is "milstyle" or whatever. Never again.

Fire away. (with links, if you please)
Last edited by Weetabix on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Aesop

Re: School me on ponchos

Postby Aesop » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:16 pm

This one.

Actual surplus. $55.
Get over the woodland camo.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Srsly? A link to a sold out item? :lol:

I'll try googling, but I don't seem to have much luck getting to genuine.

And, I just remembered - there's a guy down the street with a hole in the wall shop with military memorabilia. Sometimes he has stuff like this.

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:45 pm

I like the Frogg Toggs products. That said, I also have an Alpenflage Swiss Surplus that is very good.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Aesop

Postby Aesop » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Hey, I was looking at the description, not doing a stock check. :P
Serves me right for not waiting for all the BS on the page to finish loading.

So try this one.
Or this one.
Or this one.

So go find one. Now that you've got your license, your mom and I can't be taking you shopping all the time.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:17 pm

Weetabix wrote:I like ponchos.

I was always more of Jon Baker fan. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:57 pm

HTRN wrote:
Weetabix wrote:I like ponchos.

I was always more of Jon Baker fan. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

I saw a parody commercial recently for those two. It kept introducing "Ponch... and the blonde guy!" followed by clips of Jon introducing himself. Can't find it or I'd link it.

I was hoping you were linking me to some new corn chip shaped like a poncho ala Bugles. 8-)

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:53 pm

Aesop wrote:Hey, I was looking at the description, not doing a stock check. :P
Serves me right for not waiting for all the BS on the page to finish loading.

So try this one.
Or this one.
Or this one.

So go find one. Now that you've got your license, your mom and I can't be taking you shopping all the time.

There's a couple of stores in Omaha (part of a two-store chain) that carry tons of good quality surplus stuff. They are one of the very few things I miss about Omaha.

So, I saw that link, and thought "Holy sh!t!!! Canfields has gone all modern and stuff!"

Turns out that it's a link to a store in Fort Worth, f-in' Texas! Now, I haz a sad!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:22 am

Understand that a US surplus poncho of a certain vintage may have a very, very particular smell. Like a sour milk or vomit smell. At least, my issued ones did.

randy

Postby randy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:28 am

First Shirt wrote:So, I saw that link, and thought "Holy sh!t!!! Canfields has gone all modern and stuff!"

Oh lord does that bring back memories of way too much time and money spent.

My flight bag may have contained a few "issue" items that weren't issued as a result.

One of the places that was a mandatory stop with my Dad whenever he came to town.

Back on topic, one of the best nights sleep I can remember was the last night in the woods at SERE under a poncho shelter falling asleep listening to the rain. (sure exhaustion may have had something to do with it ;) ).

And no, you can't have my (OD green) one.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:04 am

I have a Helly Hansen poncho that's been in my work truck for several years. Like most of their stuff, it's very well constructed. I bought it as a 2nd at TJ Maxx or the like...can't remember specifically.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:08 am

randy wrote:
Back on topic, one of the best nights sleep I can remember was the last night in the woods at SERE under a poncho shelter falling asleep listening to the rain. (sure exhaustion may have had something to do with it ;) ).

And no, you can't have my (OD green) one.

They swore that a bear came through our camp that last night. Couldn't prove it by me. A Chinese marching band could have come through, playing the Washington Post March, and you still couldn't prove it by me.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:56 am

oh man, SERE... About this time of October in Maine, raining all week. BLISS shelter in a poncho puddle burrowed under a windfall.
The Explorer scout years in western WA weren't a complete waste.I did better than most at staying dry but just one more time I swore someday I'd never be damp cold again.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:25 am

I can be cold. Or, I can be wet.

But if I'm cold AND wet, I'm also miserable. So glad I did Fairchild in the summer!!!!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Denis

Postby Denis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:31 pm

skb12172 wrote:I also have an Alpenflage Swiss Surplus that is very good.

Those Swiss Army ponchos are what I use. I buy them any time I'm in Switzerland at the army-surplus shop, on the basis that when they're gone, they're gone. I probably own half a dozen, and I have given some around to friends and family too.

One lives folded flat in my hunting rucksack all the time. They're not particularly light, but they are robust and pretty tear- and thorn-proof. They're roomy enough to keep your rucksack and rifle dry, and they have arm slots so you can get the rifle and your hands out fast. They are a decent shelter from wind and/or driving rain, and two would make a tent. Mine has saved me from misery on several occasions, just by keeping the cold wind off me and sparing me the windchill factor. A minor mod which is a good improvement is to replace (or add to) the top snap-button with a grommet and some paracord, so you can tie the neck closed. Somehow the top button seems to snap open too easily otherwise.

Another good bit of raingear, but probably impossible to find these days is the ex east-German army poncho. It's more of a cloak-like garment with a big raimproof cowl for head and shoulders. If you ever see one for sale, snap it up.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:47 am

I've also got the Swiss Alpenflage poncho; although I've not had the kind of need for it some of you posted, it was very nice for those times when the dog needed walking and we were in the middle of a deluge (no yard so the dog needed to be accompanied and leashed). It worked great.

You could check Old Grouch; they had some very nice copies of the military poncho made but I think many of them are no longer in stock.

Jered

Postby Jered » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:34 am

Denis wrote:Another good bit of raingear, but probably impossible to find these days is the ex east-German army poncho. It's more of a cloak-like garment with a big raimproof cowl for head and shoulders. If you ever see one for sale, snap it up.

Denis, this thing?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Denis

Postby Denis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:19 pm

Jered wrote:
Denis wrote:Another good bit of raingear, but probably impossible to find these days is the ex east-German army poncho. It's more of a cloak-like garment with a big raimproof cowl for head and shoulders. If you ever see one for sale, snap it up.

Denis, this thing?

Yes. Fantastic. Now to see if I can get some...

PawPaw
Active Shooter

Postby PawPaw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:48 pm

More important than the poncho itself is the poncho liner. LINKY HERE. It came out during the Vietnam unpleasantness, intended as a mild-weather epedient when temps were just a little bit cool. It's a lightweight nylon shell with poly interior, and it was immediately accepted by GIs worldwide as an essential piece of military equipment.

In the '70s, tank crews were issued OD Rain Parkas as part of the BII. These things were cold, being constructed of rubberized material. Some enterprising seamstresses devised a method of cutting up the poncho liner and lining the rain parka with the insulated material. Oh, My God! It was perfect. The ne plus ultra of military tanker's attire. It would keep you warm in the winter and dry on the wash-rack.

But, the poncho liner used alone was the military equivalent of Lunus' security blanket. No GI left home without one.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Oh, I already have a couple of woobies! They're great.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:02 pm

I bought a couple of the lightweight sleeping bag liners (part of the ECWS sleeping bag set) and The Senior Minions use them when deer hunting. I figured out, fairly early on, that SM#1 will NOT leave the blind as long as she's conscious. So when they get into the blind or shooting house, they get into the lightweight bags, zip them up about halfway, and stay reasonably comfortable while waiting for Bambi (or his cousins) to wander by.

There have been a couple of days when I wished I'd bought one more.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:28 pm

I have one of those, but I've not used it that way. I'll have to try that in December.

Denis

Postby Denis » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:28 pm

First Shirt wrote:...when they get into the blind or shooting house, they get into the lightweight bags, zip them up about halfway, and stay reasonably comfortable while waiting for Bambi...

Over here, there is a shooting accessory known as an "Ansitzsack". It's like a cross betweeen a sleeping bag and an overcoat, which keeps one warm and cosy for long waits in a cold hide. I don't have one (a combination of my Swiss poncho and Czech army blanket usually keep me warm and dry), but they're on special offer at the moment, and I'm sorely tempted... I hate being cold on a shoot.

http://images.google.com/search?&q=ansitzsack

The other thing I hate is being wet on a shoot. If I know I'm going to be on a ladder, or in/on a hide without a roof, I bring an oversized anglers' umbrella with me, together with a little gadget to allow me to fix it to a tree or post. That way rifle, scope, binos, glasses and I stay dry and happy.

JAG2955
Active Shooter

Postby JAG2955 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Denis wrote:
First Shirt wrote:...when they get into the blind or shooting house, they get into the lightweight bags, zip them up about halfway, and stay reasonably comfortable while waiting for Bambi...

Over here, there is a shooting accessory known as an "Ansitzsack". It's like a cross betweeen a sleeping bag and an overcoat, which keeps one warm and cosy for long waits in a cold hide. I don't have one (a combination of my Swiss poncho and Czech army blanket usually keep me warm and dry), but they're on special offer at the moment, and I'm sorely tempted... I hate being cold on a shoot.

http://images.google.com/search?&q=ansitzsack

The other thing I hate is being wet on a shoot. If I know I'm going to be on a ladder, or in/on a hide without a roof, I bring an oversized anglers' umbrella with me, together with a little gadget to allow me to fix it to a tree or post. That way rifle, scope, binos, glasses and I stay dry and happy.

Manly 'Murican version here:
Linky

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Very nice, but I bought three of the lightweight bags for about $40 each. And for he southeastern US, they provide enough extra insulation.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

randy

Postby randy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:13 am

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

McClarkus
Loose Cannon

Postby McClarkus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:43 am

Granted, it's a bit off topic but in cold wet weather I prefer my wool horse blanket capote with double thick shoulder shawl. Up high, hunting elk, I love it.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:09 pm

McClarkus wrote:Granted, it's a bit off topic but in cold wet weather I prefer my wool horse blanket capote with double thick shoulder shawl. Up high, hunting elk, I love it.

Y'know, I've always wanted one of those, just because. Could never justify the cost when I had other stuff that worked well enough.

That, and I'd feel silly wearing one while hunting with a modern bolt gun. And I don't need one during muzzle-loader season.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:50 pm

I don't know. Is it quieter than modern equivalents?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds

McClarkus
Loose Cannon

Postby McClarkus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:25 am

Extremely quiet. Like a wool sleeping bag with no feet.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:15 am

Has anyone ever made a poncho from a wool surplus blanket? There are some good YouTube instructional videos and surplus wool blankets can be found cheap.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 am

Steamforger wrote:Understand that a US surplus poncho of a certain vintage may have a very, very particular smell. Like a sour milk or vomit smell. At least, my issued ones did.

They arrived today. My daughter said (and I quote), "It smells like you shat yourself. 500 times. Can we burn them?"

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:43 am

Let 'em air out. If you can find a big enough container, put them in it, loosely, and put an old-fashioned glass full of ammonia in it. Give 'em about a week, and see it that helps.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Denis

Postby Denis » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:00 am

skb12172 wrote:Has anyone ever made a poncho from a wool surplus blanket? There are some good YouTube instructional videos and surplus wool blankets can be found cheap.

I was thinking about doing just that. I found a source of Czech army surplus wool blankets in "servicable" (read ratty) condition. I reckon cutting and stitching a few would be worth a try.

Just to add that my Swiss alpenflage poncho did sterlling work at the weekend. It kept me dry and comfortable on a windy, misty, rainy shoot from a hide with a broken roof. The roe doe I shot never even saw me. There should be a Swiss poncho in every rucksack.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:49 pm

First Shirt wrote:Let 'em air out. If you can find a big enough container, put them in it, loosely, and put an old-fashioned glass full of ammonia in it. Give 'em about a week, and see it that helps.

I should just string them up in the basement for a while, I think.

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:48 pm

Why not outside? Fresh air and sunshine are the best deodorizer and disinfectant.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:41 pm

skb12172 wrote:Why not outside? Fresh air and sunshine are the best deodorizer and disinfectant.

We're entering the cold, rainy, cloudy season. They'd never get sun or dry.

Jered

Postby Jered » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:34 am

one of these?

You should get the mess kit that turns into a still, too.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:12 am

Found on Reddit tonight. Simply titled "Woobie is life, Woobie is love."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catbird
Trigger Junkie

Postby Catbird » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:21 pm

I keep a poncho liner on my bed to cover my shoulders on cold nights.

The dogs like it too.
Lacy camo sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD

Return to “Gear Talk and Tech”