Fitting a scope to you

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Fitting a scope to you

Post by Weetabix »

I've received the rifle. The scope should be here next week. I need mounts and rings.

Savage recommends Weaver 46 mounts.

I'm assuming that the height of the ring depends on how my cheek weld works with the stock.

I'm thinking my best bet is to take the rifle, mounts, and scope to the gun shop and have them help me choose rings based on how everything fits me and let them mount and adjust the scope. Is that right?

For the reference, searching the forum, I see Burris and Leoupold rings mentioned a lot. Any ring mfr's to avoid?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
PawPaw

Re: Fitting a scope to you

Post by PawPaw »

Cheek weld is vital to good accuracy because when you put our face on the stock, you want the scope to be instantly in focus, aligned with your eye, and no "squirming" necessary.

A cheek piece is the best way to achieve that. So, I'll just leave this right here.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

As a general rule, you want to mount the scope as low as you can manage. The only rings I've used that I actively hate are the old style Weaver rings with the machined lower piece, and the stamped upper that hooks on one side, and screws down on the other.

The Karsten's cheek rest that PawPaw linked is a quality product. I have a lightly used one that I used during the development of the Werewolf stock (until I learned to make my own)... I'd sell it for half of the new price, if anybody wants it. Might take me a while to find it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:AsThe only rings I've used that I actively hate are the old style Weaver rings with the machined lower piece, and the stamped upper that hooks on one side, and screws down on the other.
I have some that must be those. I hate them, too.
The Karsten's cheek rest that PawPaw linked is a quality product. I have a lightly used one that I used during the development of the Werewolf stock (until I learned to make my own)... I'd sell it for half of the new price, if anybody wants it. Might take me a while to find it.
Let me see how it fits when I get it mounted, and I may drop you an email. Which one do you have? I'm not as attracted to the ones with the big knobs on the side.

Do you drill the stock to mount them?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The one I have has the big knobs, and you have to drill the stock. If you decide to go with the Karsten's rest, I can dig up the link to the lower profile knurled knobs that I used on the stocks I built.

Edit... Actually I had the link handy. Part number 92815A115 on McMaster Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#check-nuts/=x9n7qc

I don't know if you will have to trim the mounting bolts any.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop