I have gas and small orifices (camping appliance repair)

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: I have gas and small orifices (camping appliance repair)

Post by HTRN »

Alcohol makes a great cleaning agent - it doesn't leave any residue behind. Before we got mission specific agents to clean the surface plate at work, I used alcohol..

Also, it's what I use to clean my windshield whenever I have to put registrations on - for some reason, the glue on the stickers does not like windex..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:Alcohol makes a great cleaning agent - it doesn't leave any residue behind. Before we got mission specific agents to clean the surface plate at work, I used alcohol..

Also, it's what I use to clean my windshield whenever I have to put registrations on - for some reason, the glue on the stickers does not like windex..
Alcohol is the cleaning agent in eyeglass lens wipes you can buy. My wife and I go through a fair number of them. It's also the cleaning agent of choice for things used to clean lcd monitor screens.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Windy Wilson wrote:Old gasoline in the tanks forms a sort of varnish that is soluble in denatured alcohol, available in the hardware stores. Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol has water in it and won't work. Pour out the gas and pour in the alcohol and let it set for two days (IIRC the Coleman site says one day, but I'm cautious).
Excellent! I hadn't run across that yet. I'll try it.
Oh, and the brass crank on one side of the lantern operates a cleaning needle in the generator and should be in the down position when you're running the lantern.
I did not know that and the needle on the family lantern finally burned out after 50 years, so I guess it really doesn't matter all that much.
That was the problem with one of the lanterns. When I took the generator apart, the cleaning needle was bent over, and I assume it had jammed in the body of the generator so that no gas would flow.
And buy the plastic cases for the lanterns. I finally did and cut the expenditure on mantles to about 10% of before we had the plastic case.
It's on my list. My lost propane lantern is in a plastic case... somewhere.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I have a bottle of everclear in the freezer specifically to be used as a disinfectant cleaner