leaking jerry cans

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
gandalf23

leaking jerry cans

Post by gandalf23 »

Spent Christmas with the inlaws. Went to a local surplus store with my brother in law looking for some pants for him, and walked out with three 20L euro-jerry cans for $25 each. Threw them in the back of the truck and drove off. When we got to my father in laws the truck bed smelt of gas. Seems that two of the cans had a little gas in them still, and they leaked. I can't find any holes, so I assume they leaked out of the air hole when they fell over in the back of the truck, or maybe the seal is bad? Are those reasonable assumptions? Anyone know if replacement rubber gaskets are available? Ok, a quick google shows they are available from a wide variety of sources, anyone know if any of them are any good, or ones to avoid? Is it normal for them to leak when turned over? I've never turned over any of the other jerry cans I have. Wife's a bit pissed that our luggage smelt a bit gassy on the way back home. :)

Thanks!
JAG2955

Re: leaking jerry cans

Post by JAG2955 »

I've used these replacement gaskets with good results so far:

gaskets
Precision

Post by Precision »

could be micro leaks. I had that happen in my '66 Mustang gas tank. I got it spray lined with a gas proof poly product.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

They make a tank sealer for motorcycles, you could try that.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I am guessing a guy who spends 25 bucks on jerry cans isn't in the mood to spend money on sealants and the such.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, jerry cans are one of those items where it's better, and usually cheaper in the long run, to buy new. "Euro style" cans should not leak at all when closed, with the cans in any attitude. The vent tube is completely internal to the can; the only time the vent tube comes into play is with a nozzle installed on the opening. I have carried the NATO style cans in the back of my Jeep many times, and have never gotten any leakage or odor of fuel from them.

Be aware that not all "Euro style" jerry cans will take the same nozzles or gaskets. The NATO cans are the standard, and gaskets are readily available, but there have been a lot of non-standard copies sold as surplus (I assume made by non-members of NATO), and getting gaskets or nozzles might be difficult. But if you can get some viton sheet rubber of the right thickness, it shouldn't be difficult to make your own.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

When I got home I tipped over my other jerry cans and none of them leaked. I have a few new ones, and a few other euro cans, pretty sure they were German. I ordered some gaskets from DO, we'll see if that fixes the problem. I had some rubber on hand but it's a little too thin and a gasket made from it leaks. Too thick to double up though.
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

got the Deutch Optik gaskets in today and got them installed and they work great. Can hardly close or open the can now they are so tight, but I figure tight is better.