Trijicon RMR sights

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Trijicon RMR sights

Post by Rich Jordan »

I was able to handle and "test" (indoors on a dummy carbine) a Trijicon RMR last week; it was the nonadjustable LED type that uses a coin cell and is supposed to be functional for 5 years. It was sweet.

Too expensive to afford, at least right now, but thought I'd ask if anyone has used these, and also thoughts on the three available models; the nonadjustable LED (it actually auto-adjusts brightness), an adjustable LED (user controlled brightness levels), and a unit that has a tritium capsule and fiber optics (and no battery) for night/day operation.

Thanks...
Netpackrat

Re: Trijicon RMR sights

Post by Netpackrat »

I have two, both of the RM-07 adjustable model with the 6.5moa dot. They are the only ones I have used, but when I was researching them prior to purchase, I read that the dual illuminated (tritium/fiber) model can have issues with the dot "washing out" or being rendered otherwise unusable under certain lighting conditions. I went with the adjustable model for the first one, because the pistol it is mounted to spends most of its time in the safe, and I figured it would be better to be able to turn it off, despite the long battery life. The second one was a used purchase locally, so it was what was available. Had I been buying new, I would likely have bought the non-adjustable instead.

The adjustable model in general is superior, but if your holster isn't made properly for it, there can be issues with the holster bearing against the buttons, changing the setting or possibly even turning it off. A custom holster I had made, had to go back to the maker for further work to stop this from happening. I have had no issues whatsoever with the operation of either unit.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

I have the Reflex (tritium element no battery) model for my AR and like it. However I have not had an opportunity to use it extensively in a variety of conditions.

It has a polarizing attachment to help with the washout in bright light conditions.

The only thing I would change would be to go with a larger dot size, I got the smallest on the "aim small miss small" principle, but did not take into account my aging eyes.

IIRC Combat Controller likes them as well.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

They $3x better than a Burris Fastfire? I'll never know I guess 'cause, as much as their products interest me, the Trijicon pricing always makes me go shopping elsewhere.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I have two of them. One is an amber dot on the wife's primary AR, and I have a green triangle on my FNX-45. They're both the dual-illuminated tritium/fiber optic variety.

Washout happens, especially if you hit your target with a tac light. But on both of these platforms, you still have irons as a backup. In fact, with a fixed front sight post on the AR, it's rather like a large ghost ring, but you don't need to worry about sight alignment with the co-witnessed dot. Washout supposedly occurs least with the LED variety.

It's a compromise. It's super small and light, but it has its limitations. It really rules in the low-light scenario where it's not dark enough for a light but dark enough where it becomes difficult to pick out an iron sight.

I got mine from Grabagun.com, they had the best price at the time, which was significant compared to all other places. When start including a quality mount, you get into the price where you could be looking at an Aimpoint for a similar dollar value. If you're looking for a small red dot, I HIGHLY recommend the Aimpoint Micro T-1. With the release of the Micro T-2, T-1 prices may drop a little.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I don't have any handguns currently set up for optics; I've got inexpensive red dots on two carbines though, and tried a cheap holosight once (preferred that to the red dots until it channeled its inner chinese and failed). So if I get one (RMR or other) its for carbine use.