Ford F150

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Ford F150

Post by Netpackrat »

Maybe someday I will wear out the Chevy 3/4 ton that my folks bought in '73 and have to buy a new truck. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

Netpackrat wrote:Maybe someday I will wear out the Chevy 3/4 ton that my folks bought in '73 and have to buy a new truck. :mrgreen:
You're lucky you are in Alaska. Around here in Ohio, those turned into swiss cheese underneath in ten years or less. We still see those 73-80 Chevy trucks around here but they usually no longer have floors, rockers, cab corners, quarter panels...
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

evan price wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Maybe someday I will wear out the Chevy 3/4 ton that my folks bought in '73 and have to buy a new truck. :mrgreen:
You're lucky you are in Alaska. Around here in Ohio, those turned into swiss cheese underneath in ten years or less. We still see those 73-80 Chevy trucks around here but they usually no longer have floors, rockers, cab corners, quarter panels...
Yeah, not so much. Mine would look like that too, but for drastic intervention. The only original body panel left is the hood.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

skb12172 wrote:For the record, I get more use out of my F-150s than even Paw Paw does. My current one is a 1993. I'd get in it and drive to Miami tomorrow with no worries.
By all means. I'd run my 94 to any point in the country still. Only reason I upgraded was because I wanted something a bit nicer.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: The Modular V8s run forever until they suddenly crap out major.
The reason is simple: Undersized oil passages. The 5.0L had the same problem, just not as bad. What happens when you start getting sludge buildup, it chokes off the oil passage, starving the oil to critical locations. It's why they typically crap out at 80-100K miles. This is due to Ford's fetish for saving every ounce of metal out of block castings. :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Toyota. I had an '84 Hilux, gave it to my daughter at about 230k. She sold it three months ago. It was still driving, an Arizona truck with minimal rot, even after spending 15 years here in MD. I replaced it with a '04 Tacoma, double cab 4x4. I replace wear items, once in a great while. It's absurd what it would sell for, even with 110k on the odometer. Of course, I paid a hefty chunk for it. People just don't sell them. The only thing I would change is the bed, 5' is just too small. I don't know that much about the Tundra, but I drool over one every so often. And yes, my Tacoma was built in Kentucky. If you must have a full-size, I can't help you. The last full-size I had was a '64 C10 fleetside, with the 292 I6 and a granny-gear four-speed. I miss that truck, even 30 years later.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Lokidude wrote:
skb12172 wrote:For the record, I get more use out of my F-150s than even Paw Paw does. My current one is a 1993. I'd get in it and drive to Miami tomorrow with no worries.
By all means. I'd run my 94 to any point in the country still. Only reason I upgraded was because I wanted something a bit nicer.
Inthe '80s and 90s I was in the cattle business, towing large trailers and using my trucks like rented mules. Plus, that was the time I was raising teenaged boys, which in-and-of-itself is tough on a vehicle.

My blue one was an '88, a single cab with that marvelous 300 CID six cylinder with a five-speed manual THe first gear was a crawler gear to start heavy loads. I loved that truck until one morning, towing a trailer, a knucklehead came though a stop sigh and totalled me. The combined mass of truck and trailer pushed us up to the porch of the New Harmony Baptist Church where the ladies were having a altar society meeting. Scared the hell out of ladies and the cattle in the trailer. But luckily none of the cattle were injured.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Odahi wrote:Toyota. I had an '84 Hilux, gave it to my daughter at about 230k. She sold it three months ago. It was still driving, an Arizona truck with minimal rot, even after spending 15 years here in MD. I replaced it with a '04 Tacoma, double cab 4x4. I replace wear items, once in a great while. It's absurd what it would sell for, even with 110k on the odometer. Of course, I paid a hefty chunk for it. People just don't sell them. The only thing I would change is the bed, 5' is just too small. I don't know that much about the Tundra, but I drool over one every so often. And yes, my Tacoma was built in Kentucky. If you must have a full-size, I can't help you. The last full-size I had was a '64 C10 fleetside, with the 292 I6 and a granny-gear four-speed. I miss that truck, even 30 years later.

Heh…Truck #2 is a 1991 Hilux. I can't kill it, either. Since the F150 is for hauling, the Toyota is mostly just a commuter.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
evan price

Post by evan price »

PawPaw wrote:
Lokidude wrote:
Inthe '80s and 90s I was in the cattle business, towing large trailers and using my trucks like rented mules. Plus, that was the time I was raising teenaged boys, which in-and-of-itself is tough on a vehicle.

My blue one was an '88, a single cab with that marvelous 300 CID six cylinder with a five-speed manual THe first gear was a crawler gear to start heavy loads. I loved that truck until one morning, towing a trailer, a knucklehead came though a stop sigh and totalled me. The combined mass of truck and trailer pushed us up to the porch of the New Harmony Baptist Church where the ladies were having a altar society meeting. Scared the hell out of ladies and the cattle in the trailer. But luckily none of the cattle were injured.
Multiport fuel injection made the 300 six from a good motor to a great motor. Seven main bearings, plenty of torque, economical. As much as I bash on Fords that 300 Six was probably the best motor they ever made. I had a 1979 F150 with the 300 six and the 4-speed overdrive transmission that would pull down a house in low gear. The worst problem was the *&$%^ carburetor. I was always fiddling with it. Vacuum leaks, rich/lean issues due to intake runner length and oil leaks. But power all day long.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Denis

Post by Denis »

James,

you clearly need a technical.