Are national events making you reconsider your CCW choice?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

Are national events making you reconsider your CCW choice?

Post by Precision »

This article makes sense to me. What say you?

http://bearingarms.com/cursed-failing-f ... ampaign=nl

I made that upgrade 2+ years ago with the exception of the always on the back up mag and the throw power of the light.

I am running a Glock-22 with on board ammo and a 120ish lumen light. I occasionally carry a spare mag and / or a spare gun.

I have upgraded to a rifle and a back up handgun in my vehicle at all times with spare mags and ammo.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
skb12172

Re: Are national events making you reconsider your CCW choic

Post by skb12172 »

No. I consider myself to be in a low-threat area, even though the recent Fern Creek HS shooting occurred only about ten minutes from my house. The Springfield XDS remains on my person, with one reload. Two more reloads are in the car. If I'm not carrying that, it's my .38 snubbie with two reloads on speed strips. Two more speed strips are in the car. My truck gun is a 12 gauge. I keep 40 rounds of 00 buck and 10 slugs in bandoleers. If my requirements go beyond that, I'll either need to improvise on the spot or make my peace with God. This mirrors my greater philosophy. I'm a Prepper, not a Survivalist. I'll make what I consider to be reasonable preparations, but am not willing to live my life as if I were under siege. YMMV…

Given that, I do have a 3 day supply of food and water in the vehicle, along with emergency blankets, matches, baby wipes, toilet paper, and a tarp, poncho, etc. The usual vehicle BOB, I would guess. A Surefire flashlight and Boker EMT Knife are also on my person, along with bigger things in the car, such as a machete, military shovel, etc.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Nope. No changes.

As in another thread:
1. P3AT in pocket holster. 1 spare mag in weakside pocket
2. P7PSP in lockbox in car with IWB holster and 3 spare mags
3. K98 Mauser in trunk of car with about 300rds on 5rd stripper clips in old musette bag

To upgrade this battery requires grenades. Lots of grenades.

http://demotivator.tumblr.com/post/1482 ... motivation
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

D5CAV wrote:Nope. No changes.

As in another thread:
1. P3AT in pocket holster. 1 spare mag in weakside pocket
2. P7PSP in lockbox in car with IWB holster and 3 spare mags
3. K98 Mauser in trunk of car with about 300rds on 5rd stripper clips in old musette bag

To upgrade this battery requires grenades. Lots of grenades.

http://demotivator.tumblr.com/post/1482 ... motivation
What kind of ammo for the K98? FMJ, SP, other?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

skb12172 wrote: What kind of ammo for the K98? FMJ, SP, other?
FMJ
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

D5CAV wrote:
FMJ

OK, if you don't mind me digging into your business, what led you to that decision? Honestly curious, not criticizing. Economics? Availability? Something Else?
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Um nope , pretty set , I'm good . Life/history pretty much repeats its self , seen this before, and always be ready to protect your self and your family, and the .gov people have their own agenda.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

skb12172 wrote:
D5CAV wrote:
FMJ

OK, if you don't mind me digging into your business, what led you to that decision? Honestly curious, not criticizing. Economics? Availability? Something Else?
Well, he aint hunting deer with it...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Thanks for the explanation, Chris. I am still wrapping my head around when FMJ is appropriate and for what. I need to learn more about ammo.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I found a relatively new company called SnagMag through The Firearm Blog, and it's finally allowed me to start carrying a spare mag for my Kahr PM9. However, I'm switching to my Glock 23 in a Galco King Tuk also with a spare mag in a SnagMag, and hope to get my wife to go get her CCW and start carrying the Kahr, because I'm worried things could start to go south and I'm on the other side of the country or in Canada.

I have an SKS in an ATI stock with a red dot and 50 rounds of older Chinese steel core stuff on stripper clips in the trunk, but that's normal. My BIL is getting ready to buy his first shotgun and start carrying it in his truck.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL