I love technological synergy

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Cobar

Re: I love technological synergy

Post by Cobar »

Solar sounds great but it doesn't work half the time. :(
randy

Post by randy »

That's why you have batteries.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

This is really an end run around lack of infrastructure. Same way undeveloped countries are skipping straight to cell phones without ever having a working land line phone network.

Go solar to power your wireless gadgets because you don't *have* a working outlet to plug into.

It doesn't really scale (large scale solar is inferior and costs more than a conventional electrical infrastructure) but it's very liberating and empowering for individuals in crappy countries.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I know one guy locally who lives "off the grid", in that he isn't connected to our local electrical service provider, simply as a matter of taste and choice. He runs his house on a huge LPG generator, but only runs it when he's there and awake, about 6 hours per day. He's a curmudgeonly sort, a single guy, and built a small cottage on several acres of rural land, planned his house to be off the grid. Good insulation, well shaded lot, and he turns off everything when he goes to work in the morning, fires it up when he comes home in the evening, and shuts it off again when he goes to bed. He runs his pickup truck on LPG.

He's still dependent on infrastructure, in that he needs roads, bridges, and most importantly, that big truck that delivers him fuel monthly. He claims that he saves money, because the AC/Heat system doesn't run when he's not in the house, the home is well insulated so it holds temps good, and as long as he's not opening the fridge, things stay cold. He lives alone, and seems really happy with his choices. Of course, he isn't bothered by things like an electrical outage, because he's not hooked to the grid.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yep. The target market here for these sorts of technologies will be off-grid types and backpackers. As in, people who are choosing to go without infrastructure. When you're doing that, something that let's you work around lack of infrastructure is a good thing.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

Solar works great, depending on climate. It also requires a different way of thinking. Efficiency, conservation, and proper planning are musts.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

cut the price of it by half, and it becomes a totally different beast.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Termite wrote:Solar works great, depending on climate. It also requires a different way of thinking. Efficiency, conservation, and proper planning are musts.
Solar has its uses, but it doesn't scale because energy storage doesn't scale.

Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Greg wrote:Solar has its uses, but it doesn't scale because energy storage doesn't scale.
That was sort of the point of my sarcastic joke post earlier.

Whatever happened to those super capacitors I was hearing about a couple of years ago?