Help me spend some Larue bucks

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Help me spend some Larue bucks

Post by Rich Jordan »

I won a $500 Larue Tactical gift card. If I could afford a Larue rifle, or a complete upper it'd be awesome but I can't and won't be able to for some time even with this card. If they had bolt and carrier assemblies I'd by one and a stripped upper, but they only have the bare upper receiver at $250. No barrels either. And since I live in a demo-nazi county fiefdom I can't order a passel of magazines.

So: optics. I can afford to throw another $200 or so plus the card but it would be nice to not go much over the $500... I have an Aimpoint M2 but don't have a holo-type sight. No handguns currently set up for optics. Larue has:

Eotech XPS with QD mount: $684
Eotech 512 with QD mount: $529
Eotech 552 with QD mount: $621

Also some micro- red dots from Aimpoint but I'm not sure what I'd use one on.

Thoughts? I've only used the cheap chinese holosights, and I like the concept, but don't really have any idea if the models above improve enough with price to be worth that increase. Feedback appreciated even if its for something else from their site; I'm not stuck on optics, they just seem worth considering.
Aglifter

Re: Help me spend some Larue bucks

Post by Aglifter »

Eotechs are great - I like them for competition guns , but they have a high level of parasitic draw.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Eotechs also cause problems for some people who have had eye surgery. Further, they are on sale other places cheaper.

Go for a barrel or mounting gear or a free float or just wait on something. If you can buy it elsewhere you might want to save the card.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

My $0.02:
If you already have an Aimpoint M2, and it works for you, instead of going all belt-and-suspenders crazy, buy spare parts.

It's a Lego rifle, so you might as well have some extra blocks to play with, just in case.

Take a look at your toys, and see if there's anything else you're missing in the survival department, and see if anything in that category is something you'd want and don't already have.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

You need at least one Tactical Beverage Tool.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I would get this.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

If you have more than one AR, kitting each of them out with a Gissele trigger wouldn't be a bad way to spend the money.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:I would get this.
Interesting... I don't have any kind of rangefinder right now
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

PawPaw wrote:You need at least one Tactical Beverage Tool.
I have a couple I found at a gun show a while ago. I'm not going to start collecting them ;)
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

CombatController wrote:Eotechs also cause problems for some people who have had eye surgery. Further, they are on sale other places cheaper.

Go for a barrel or mounting gear or a free float or just wait on something. If you can buy it elsewhere you might want to save the card.
Good to know. Larue is currently not selling most of the 'spares' I would be interested in but Langenator had a good thought about the trigger. I only have one AR (and it is stored elsewhere) but it has an excellent two-stage trigger already but getting a premium trigger for a future build is worth considering.