Good modern basement fallout shelter book?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Dub_James

Good modern basement fallout shelter book?

Post by Dub_James »

Been seeing a lot of the old 50's and 60's reprints online, but what's a good, inexpensive, up-to-date fallout shelter for taking advantage of an existing basement structure?

Failing that, what's available that's at least not out-of-date?
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
The Wizard

Re: Good modern basement fallout shelter book?

Post by The Wizard »

It might not be exactly what you are looking for but this is from 1980

http://images.military.com/ContentFiles ... trh12c.pdf
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Thanks for the link. I'm looking for something that covers air circulation and replacement too. I've seen some online excerpts somewhere that included plans for those systems.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
randy

Post by randy »

Some links to FEMA docs on sheltering in place. Specifically look at the Radiological and CBR event information in the PDF file. If you combine this with nuclear fallout specific information from the 50-60's info I think you should be good to go.

http://www.ready.gov/shelter

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/plan/prevent/rm ... ema453.pdf
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The whole FEMA self-reliance series really intrigues me. Lots of good information, but in the event of a large scale disaster, will they just come to your place, forcefully remove you, and take all your stuff ala Katrina?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Depends on how may black helicopters they can pry loose from ferrying UN troops....
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Dub_James wrote:Been seeing a lot of the old 50's and 60's reprints online, but what's a good, inexpensive, up-to-date fallout shelter for taking advantage of an existing basement structure?
Not building one.
The old Civil Defense nonsense was great, as long as you were only going to be inside one for an hour or two, without needing to stand up, exercise, eat, drink, pee, poop, sleep, breathe, or not strangle the crap out of anyone else unfortunate enough to be jammed into one of those with you.
Anything that doesn't accommodate all those things isn't a "shelter", it's an upscale crypt, with a functional 1:1 correlation of ultimate purpose.

The aim of those 50s-era plans was to keep you worthlessly busy until the gamma radiation made you too sick to give them any crap until your hair fell out and you collapsed, at which point you were less a management issue, and more of a fertilizer in place sort of thing.

The functionally identical Russian version of the joke went like this:
Comrade, what do we do in case of a nuclear attack?
Wrap yourself in a sheet, and walk slowly towards the nearest graveyard.
Comrade, why walk slowly?
So as not to create a panic.
Failing that, what's available that's at least not out-of-date?
This. But they're rather pricey.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Dub,

What scenario are you attempting to shelter from, and for how long?
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Weetabix wrote:Dub,

What scenario are you attempting to shelter from, and for how long?

I'm thinking if there were strikes on strategic targets in this state, followed by waiting out the return to normal radiation levels. How easy would it be to make do in the average basement pushed into service as a shelter kind of thing.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I think Randy's links will get you there. I seem to recall seeing some things about dealing with sealing and air for that scenario.