(Gun) Magazine racks?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Dub_James

(Gun) Magazine racks?

Post by Dub_James »

My gun cabinet is pretty small, and with a couple of "guest" firearms, a heap of magazines and a fresh influx of (relatively) cheap .223 and 7.62, it's getting pretty cramped in there.

I'm planning to move out the ammo to 50 Cal. cans with desiccant packs, but I need some way to efficiently store AK and AR mags outside the safe, but readily accessible. Does any know of a "magazine" stand or holder that would be either bench or floor mounted, that allows easy access, but looks smart? I've been checking the Net, but it appears no one's thought of the idea before.

Anyone ever seen anything like that?
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Aesop

Re: (Gun) Magazine racks?

Post by Aesop »

Few people have so many mags that they need special storage, and those that do are usually proficient enough to knock something together.

The 90mm wooden rocket crates one finds at Army-Navy stores serve fairly well, as do the newer metal cannon and grenade ammo cans that sit 2 feet tall, stack well, and like .50 cans, are airtight and rugged.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

The "looks smart" part is the kicker. I use an old file cabinet, because bachelor life has its perks.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

For the ammo, I'm finding the 40mm grenade cans work better than the 50 Cal cans. Over twice the space, but equally stackable. Planning to get a few more as funds permit.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Dub_James wrote:For the ammo, I'm finding the 40mm grenade cans work better than the 50 Cal cans. Over twice the space, but equally stackable. Planning to get a few more as funds permit.
I must be getting downright puny in my old age. I much prefer the .30 caliber boxes, particularly for .22lr, as I can cram a painfully heavy amount of ammo into the .50 and the tall .50 boxes I used to have.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

I've got 8 of the 40s now, and just got another 2 of the 50s, bringing them to 4. I'm also picking up some 9mm and air gun pellets. This time next year I should be in good shape. 8-)
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I prefer standard metal .50 cal cans, not the "fat .50" or tall .50 ones though, for my ammo and the plastic .50 cal style ammo cans/sport utility boxes store AR mags pretty well with proper stacking.
As for spiffy looking, well I saw some wooden boxes at Walmart with an M4 burned into them that didn't look too [strike]ugly[/strike] utilitarian
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Someone posted "magnetic tape" for a mag solution, at it is brilliantly efficient. (won't hold loaded mags)
Precision

Post by Precision »

one of these might hold loaded mags.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitc ... n=shopping
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Twas I posted showing a magnetic shop tool strip on my closet wall. Holds loaded handgun mags fine. Has two parallel magnet strips embedded in it.

Don't know how it would do with a rifle mag but I bet two of the same strips mounted alongside each other would do the trick
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story