Bear gun

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Bear gun

Post by Netpackrat »

CombatController wrote:Growing up in a place full of bears, I have rarelyh run into one, nor ever had to shoot one. Still, it is a good idea to carry especially in the spring....
Me either, but then, I'm not necessarily here for the hunting...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

CombatController wrote:LOL, a bear thread on our new forum already.... :ugeek:

Rifle, then handgun. I even copied NPR and bought a .450 marlin for serious duty. Even if I have my .454 lever or my .44 lever, it is still better than just a handgun. Growing up in a place full of bears, I have rarelyh run into one, nor ever had to shoot one. Still, it is a good idea to carry especially in the spring....
Well, my bear gun was my now destroyed Westley Richards in .425 WR bolt gun and I replaced it with one in .416 Rigby…

Unfortunately, I get to see a couple dozen bears a season and have to carry a big caliber rifle for protection as handgun hunting is very, very Verboten here in Canada…Actually it isn’t the hunting that is illegal but the carrying of the handgun that gets you in deep trouble…The second person will carry a shotgun, single shot break open and is loaded with banger shells which is basically a shell will a projectile inside that produces a very loud bang downrange; it will go off around the bears’ head and scares them off but the guides also have some rifled slugs just in case—also a few #5 for the occasional ptarmigan…

The last thing we want to do (and it probably would be) is kill one or even wound one and have to get a Game Warden fly in to track & kill it…If we do happen to kill one, we’ll spend the next 3 to 5 years fighting it out in court as to why we killed an endangered species and try to convince the court that the Polar Bear was out to eat you and you killed it in self defence…

The holster is for when I’m down in the States visiting with my friends, relatives and in-laws who happen to possess all of my handguns…

We have a couple of Marlins, a Guide Gun in .45/70 as well as an 1894F in .41 mag and my partners have Winchester 1895 lever guns customized by Z-Hawk one in .375 Scoville Hawk and the other in .411 Hawk…Each guest accommodation will also have a break open single shot shotgun with a bunch of banger shells…

We try not to shoot too many at them as they are smart enough to realize that after 20 or 30 bangs the two-legged lunch hasn’t been able to hurt him/her so they’ll go and eat them, now…Shoot 4 or 5 at them and they usually go away…

It certainly helps having an electrified low voltage fence surrounding the camp that is tied into an alarm system as well as a localized steel stake (every 2nd one) with a banger shell and pop-up flare that will both go off simultaneously if the animal comes in contact with two (2) wires…
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

SeekHer wrote: The last thing we want to do (and it probably would be) is kill one or even wound one and have to get a Game Warden fly in to track & kill it…If we do happen to kill one, we’ll spend the next 3 to 5 years fighting it out in court as to why we killed an endangered species and try to convince the court that the Polar Bear was out to eat you and you killed it in self defence…
Wow, things in Canada are far worse than I had believed. Evidently they have even banned shovels.

On a more serious note, Alaska is not without those problems. You'll get in far less trouble for killing a human in self defense (proly get a medal, actually) than a bear.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Where I live in the summer , it is very rare not see a bear , usually two or more each time we go out. I like bears,I consider them one of the indicators that I am living in the right spot, and their is nothing like 1000lb predators roaming around to keep your attention and interest peaked.
45-70, 458 win start to just roll of the tongue, when you see 2 or more large growlers a day, and you are out walking around.
And like the man said, hand guns are hand guns and rifles are what you use to defend your self.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
RangerWT

Post by RangerWT »

FelixEstrella wrote:And no one has advised filing off the front sight of your bear handgun yet? I'm shocked.
I like to have the hammer despured as well. That way it doesn't hang up coming back out.
“Have you paid your dues, Jack?” — “Yes sir, the check is in the mail.” - Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

Ranger and Felix,

Are you gonna' grease the holster too?
My ideas are mine. You go out and get your own!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

1911Man wrote:Ranger and Felix,

Never heard of a bear ripping a guy's holster off his belt, and shoving it up there.

1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

Netpackrat wrote:
1911Man wrote:Ranger and Felix,

Never heard of a bear ripping a guy's holster off his belt, and shoving it up there.
I was thinking the inside of the holster so the barrel would be lubed.
My ideas are mine. You go out and get your own!
RangerWT

Post by RangerWT »

Actually, if you don't want to add much weight, how about the Glock 29 in 10mm. That would be fairly light weight and still have 10 + 1 rounds of fullhouse 10mm goodness. Buffalo Bore makes a 200gr. FMJ flat nose round that has a listed muzzle velocity of 1200fps and a muzzle energy of 639 ft.lbs. You will give up a little in velocity with the 29's shorter barrel, but you're going to have that problem with any short barreled handgun.
“Have you paid your dues, Jack?” — “Yes sir, the check is in the mail.” - Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Bear Gun:

Bear Gun Bullets:

For those interested, 700 grain @ 1200 ft/sec is 2238 foot lbs, and a TKO of 60.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt