SHTF neighborhood tac comms

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
randy

Re: SHTF neighborhood tac comms

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:The only possible hitch would be they (rechargeable AAs like eneloops) are 1.2v as opposed to the 1.5v of alkaline.
Make sure you check your radio specs carefully whenever trying a new battery combination.

I have a 6 cell battery case to fit a couple of my old radios (IC-2AT and 3AT) designed for NiMH cells, but if I were to put in Alkaline I need down size by 2 cells and short the empty spaces for continuity or else I'd fry the radio with too much voltage (radios take 8v max).

With most modern day amateur equipment, probably not a big deal, but with older or lower price (therefore lower quality or attention to detail) it could be.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well, I now have a call sign. My GMRS license was approved this morning. Now to make the final decision on radios. (Going to be either the ones suggested slightly up thread, or something extremely similar in the same product line.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Well, I now have a call sign. My GMRS license was approved this morning. Now to make the final decision on radios. (Going to be either the ones suggested slightly up thread, or something extremely similar in the same product line.)
Shouldn't have to ask this question when google is my friend, but I'm feeling lazy. How did you go about that? Did you go to their website and use a credit card? I already have an FRN, so I requested access to log in with that to get a GMRS license.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Well, I now have a call sign. My GMRS license was approved this morning. Now to make the final decision on radios. (Going to be either the ones suggested slightly up thread, or something extremely similar in the same product line.)
Shouldn't have to ask this question when google is my friend, but I'm feeling lazy. How did you go about that? Did you go to their website and use a credit card? I already have an FRN, so I requested access to log in with that to get a GMRS license.
I did. There's no test just a fee. You can go to their site, I had to get an FRN but you have that, once you have that you can apply online (it's just a form to fill out) then pay online with a CC then wait a little bit for them to process the application.

I put mine in before going to sleep, and it was already approved by the time I logged in to check in the morning.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:There's no test just a fee. You can go to their site, I had to get an FRN but you have that, once you have that you can apply online (it's just a form to fill out) then pay online with a CC then wait a little bit for them to process the application.
Application submitted. I'll check back tomorrow.

If I understand correctly, you don't need to use your call sign on GMRS, right?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Wound up ordering the Motorola MT352R after some internal debate and consultation with SWMBO. Decided it was worth trading 'repeater capable and waterproof' for 'water resistant and supports USB charging' as we have a substantial investment in USB charging infrastructure, what with 2 tablets and a smartphone in the house.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products ... duct2=1950

This site is very cool.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Kommander wrote:Got a 65.7% on an online sample test just by trying to logic things out. Perhaps I can do this.
You can find study guides on line, hard copy guides at ARRL, or used hard copy at a be books.com..

Do it.
Tempting. I took the online Technician practice test at eham.net - first time I got in the 60's and failed, second time I got in the 80's. With a little luck, general knowledge (not knowing the first thing about ham radio or the rules under Part 97) is enough to see you through. Studying so you know what you're doing should make, at least the first exam, almost a gimme.

Getting ideas again..... :)

randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote: Decided it was worth trading 'repeater capable and waterproof' for 'water resistant and supports USB charging' as we have a substantial investment in USB charging infrastructure, what with 2 tablets and a smartphone in the house.
Based on the spec comparisons, I would have made the same choice. The repeater option only comes into play if you put up your own repeater (which can be expensive in time and money, and I think requires coordination with the FCC), or have access to an existing GMRS repeater. And it looks like you have the option for a drop in charger in the future. Typically they will rapid charge the battery faster than plugging in the radio. having NOAA Weather Alerts an be useful as well.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:There's no test just a fee. You can go to their site, I had to get an FRN but you have that, once you have that you can apply online (it's just a form to fill out) then pay online with a CC then wait a little bit for them to process the application.
Application submitted. I'll check back tomorrow.

If I understand correctly, you don't need to use your call sign on GMRS, right?
Good question. I wonder if you'll be issued a separate GMRS call sign.

BTW, the FCC is very trusting. They're awfully free with personal information. ULS searches.....

rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Greg wrote:Wound up ordering the Motorola MT352R after some internal debate and consultation with SWMBO. Decided it was worth trading 'repeater capable and waterproof' for 'water resistant and supports USB charging' as we have a substantial investment in USB charging infrastructure, what with 2 tablets and a smartphone in the house.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products ... duct2=1950

This site is very cool.
I'd be interested in seeing what their real range is in suburbia. I have an older Motorola FRS set that only gets out to 1/2 - 3/4 mile around here.