SHTF neighborhood tac comms

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
randy

Re: SHTF neighborhood tac comms

Post by randy »

From earlier in this thread
Our local Water Rescue team bought several Motorola MS350R for "expendable" on scene radios. I.e. they'd rather dump a $50.00 FRS radio into the drink than a $5,000.00 800 MHz portable. These are used basically line of sight (shore to boat).

They've had them since June 2012 and I haven't heard any complaints, but I don't know how much they've been using them.
One advantage these have is that the supplied rechargeable battery is easily removed (which is nice for when they start to hit end of life) and you can insert AA alkaline batteries if you don't have time to recharge.

As an aside, if you don't use them often, keep a supply of alkaline batteries on hand, as rechargeable batteries have a discharge rate (that varies depending on chemistry) and will go dead just sitting there for a month or 2. If you have time to charge them great, if not, then put the alkalines in. ETA and don't store them in the radio!

If I was to buy some FRS radios these are probably what I would go with.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

randy wrote:From earlier in this thread
Our local Water Rescue team bought several Motorola MS350R for "expendable" on scene radios. I.e. they'd rather dump a $50.00 FRS radio into the drink than a $5,000.00 800 MHz portable. These are used basically line of sight (shore to boat).

They've had them since June 2012 and I haven't heard any complaints, but I don't know how much they've been using them.
One advantage these have is that the supplied rechargeable battery is easily removed (which is nice for when they start to hit end of life) and you can insert AA alkaline batteries if you don't have time to recharge.

As an aside, if you don't use them often, keep a supply of alkaline batteries on hand, as rechargeable batteries have a discharge rate (that varies depending on chemistry) and will go dead just sitting there for a month or 2. If you have time to charge them great, if not, then put the alkalines in. ETA and don't store them in the radio!

If I was to buy some FRS radios these are probably what I would go with.
Cool, thanks. I saw BE ask the same question I did and didn't remember seeing any answers.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote: ETA and don't store them in the radio!
I inherited a set of those, and the batteries suck. That must be why. I'm sure the batteries were stored in the radios.

Does that hold true for all h/t's?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Not sure which type you are referring to as sucking...

The reason I stated don't store alkaline batteries in you radio is that some day it's not going to power up and when you open the case you'll find a corroded mess.

As far as the rechargeable batteries, battery life will depend on how old they are (in time and number of charge cycles) and how they were stored and used/abused. And they all have a self discharge rate. You might just need to purchased a new battery.

For amateur HTs I go with W&W Manufacturing if they have a battery for my particular radio. Cheaper than OEM and usually higher capacity. Good customer service (friend once bought a battery at Hamvention, it would never take a charge. He lost the receipt but brought it back to the booth at next year's Hamvention, owner took his old one and handed him a new one no questions asked.)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Post by Termite »

Randy,

I dumped all my regular nicads, and replaced them with the low self-discharge nickel-metal hydrides.

Pleased so far. :)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote:Not sure which type you are referring to as sucking...

The reason I stated don't store alkaline batteries in you radio is that some day it's not going to power up and when you open the case you'll find a corroded mess.

As far as the rechargeable batteries, battery life will depend on how old they are (in time and number of charge cycles) and how they were stored and used/abused. And they all have a self discharge rate. You might just need to purchased a new battery.
Sorry for the brevity.

The rechargeable batteries that came with the walkie talkies hold a charge for an abysmally short time. I imagine that my dad just left them in there and left them on the charger all the time. I also have no idea how old they are. Can't recall if I've done anything with alkaline batteries in them.

I don't leave alkaline batteries in anything for the same reason.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
randy wrote:Not sure which type you are referring to as sucking...

Sorry for the brevity.

The rechargeable batteries that came with the walkie talkies hold a charge for an abysmally short time. I imagine that my dad just left them in there and left them on the charger all the time. I also have no idea how old they are. Can't recall if I've done anything with alkaline batteries in them.

I don't leave alkaline batteries in anything for the same reason.
I hate proprietary battery packs. Try AA rechargeables and see how that works. I believe we've had the 'use eneloops wherever possible' discussion before, particularly anytime we've had a flashlight thread.

The only possible hitch would be they (rechargeable AAs like eneloops) are 1.2v as opposed to the 1.5v of alkaline. But online pictures I've seen of those battery packs show them marked '3.6v' which 3 AA in series will give you.... The device should be at least that versatile in accepting input voltages.

(Stupid phone INSISTS on auto correcting 'be' into 'he' every single time. Annoying.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I just bought some Amazon Basics NiMH rechargeables. I'll try them in the radios that are in the doghouse with me. Hmmm... I'm not in the doghouse with them. The radios are on my $hit list. But not my SHTF list. Aw, hell...
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:I just bought some Amazon Basics NiMH rechargeables. I'll try them in the radios that are in the doghouse with me. Hmmm... I'm not in the doghouse with them. The radios are on my $hit list. But not my SHTF list. Aw, hell...
Excellent. Low-self-discharge NiMH are excellent. That's what the eneloops I'm so fond of are. They can supply much higher amperages than alkalines too, which is nice in many situations.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:
Weetabix wrote:I just bought some Amazon Basics NiMH rechargeables. I'll try them in the radios that are in the doghouse with me. Hmmm... I'm not in the doghouse with them. The radios are on my $hit list. But not my SHTF list. Aw, hell...
Excellent. Low-self-discharge NiMH are excellent. That's what the eneloops I'm so fond of are. They can supply much higher amperages than alkalines too, which is nice in many situations.
They're eneloop knock offs. Right now they're showing low battery on the out of favor radios. I must isolate some variables.