Antibiotics / Antifungals for SHTF

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Aesop

Re: Antibiotics / Antifungals for SHTF

Post by Aesop »

The PDR isn't bad, and it may be what you have (or can easily get). But what it is, is an encyclopedic listing of almost everything, in way more detail than you (but not, perhaps, a trained medical professional) will ever want, need, or make use of. Extremely inside-baseball stat freak kind of stuff. For those who don't have one, go look at one in the public library before you shell out cash money for one. Anyone without a medical-field doctorate would likely be far better served by a current-year nursing drug handbook from Mosby, Springhouse, etc. which are to the PDR what the pocket-sized Constitution is to the Code Of Federal Regulations. If one decides they do want a PDR anyway, pick up an obsolescent last-year's or even year-before-that copy, as everyone including medical professionals, hospitals, and insurance companies stock the things, and throws them away annually as well. If you ask nicely, your practitioner may even give you an old(er) one the minute they get their new update. But do not, under any circumstances, shell out 45-50 actual dollars for a brand spanking new one unless it's either a business thing someone else is paying for, or you can deduct it on your taxes. Even then, it's still wasting money for very little bang at full boat price, vs. free or yard-sale clearance rates.
That same $50 gets you a case of MREs, half a shopping cart of canned goods, a couple boxes of ammo, etc. all of which have a longer shelf life than the PDR.

If you start accumulating lots of old ones, the paper is large, thin, and serves other uses, kind of like old phone books. ;)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Yup get the Vet stuff at feed stores.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Aesop wrote:If you start accumulating lots of old ones, the paper is large, thin, and serves other uses, kind of like old phone books. ;)
Or the Sears Catalog? :)
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
doc Russia

Post by doc Russia »

I don't think there is much to add to what Aesop has said. The references are quite good, and are what I use. I might add Robert's and Hedges' clinical procedures
http://www.amazon.com/Roberts-Clinical- ... y+medicine

I have never used them, but veterinary antibiotics *should* work just fine, you just have to be extra careful regarding dosing.

I would also add a couple of things that I use as "rules of thumb" :
Drain any abscess, and drain it early. Much more important than antibiotics.
fevers >102.0F are MORE likely to be bacterial. <102.0F is LESS likely to be bacterial, and more likely viral. not 100%, but mostly a reliable indicator.
viral illnesses USUALLY have a more gradual onset , whereas bacterial infections USUALLY have an acute onset (the patient says "I felt fine, doc, then, while I was driving home, I suddenly flet like crap")
Bacterial infections USUALLY have a locus of infection (An abscess site, an area of growing redness surrounding a scratch you got, a cough without a runny nose, a sore throat without a cough) whereas viral infections USUALLY involve multiple systems (Body aches, fatigue, fever, cough, AND runny nose)
viral infections USUALLY respond better to NSAIDS like tylenol and ibuprofen than bacterial infections.

This information, is also useful in evaluating whether to go to the doctor or not. It really frustrates patients (and I know this) when they feel like crap, they go to their doctor, and then the doctor says "It's just a virus, no antibiotics will help." After all, they just dragged themselves out of bed to be seen, spent an hour in the waiting room, and they come to find out they would have been better off staying home and eating chicken soup.
"That which does not transmit light creates its own darkness"
-Marcus Aurelius
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
-Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly