Termite's .308 lite loads...field tested!

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Re: Finally got off my dead butt and loaded the .308 lite loads.

Post by HTRN »

PawPaw wrote:Absolutely not. I don't sell bullets to friends!
You shouldn't sell bullets to ANYBODY without a class 7 FFL.
CByrneIV wrote:I just have to say, since amazingly HTRN hasn't chimed in yet... ALL .308 loads are light loads ;-)
Listen, just because I want to drive a Berger 210 at 3200 ft/sec, doesn't mean.. :mrgreen:

.308 is possibly the best cartridge out there, at least from a nonreloaders point of view. Ammo is cheap, is available everywhere, and is very accurate, and is a decent hunting round for everything except vermin and brown bears in NA, provided you keep ranges within reason.

It's easily one of the best general purpose chamberings around.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

HTRN wrote:
.308 is possibly the best cartridge out there, at least from a nonreloaders point of view. Ammo is cheap, is available everywhere, and is very accurate, and is a decent hunting round for everything except vermin and brown bears in NA, provided you keep ranges within reason.

It's easily one of the best general purpose chamberings around.

HTRN
(cough .30-06 cough)

(SeekHer notwithstanding, of course)
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote:You shouldn't sell bullets to ANYBODY without a class 7 FFL.
I was refering to bullets only, not loaded rounds.
I know the BATF is anal-retentive to the extreme, but there's precious little difference in cast lead bullets, cast lead fishing sinkers, and cast lead ingots, other than shape.

Of course, in some Louisiana parishes(counties) it's illegal to sell glass or plastic items cast/molded in the shape of a human penis, so I guess it would be no surprise if the BATF wanted to license/control unloaded bullets..... :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

CByrneIV wrote:But the concept of bunnyfart .308 loads is amusing to me, since I consider .308 to be bunnyfarts already; except in something like the BLR or other similarly lightweight and relatively less ergonomic rifles.
I agree, if we're talking about grownups shooting a good rifle.

But for a 100# 13yr old, a Remington 600 Mohawk .308 has significant recoil with full power loads. It's light, shorter than standard LOP, and with a 18.5" barrel has a loud muzzle blast. While my son can shoot it with standard loads, I do not want him to develop a flinch that I will have to break him of. That's the why of the lite loads. He won't be shooting past 150 yds where we hunt, so the loads will do fine.
After all, the old 30-30 load of 150gr RNSP@ 2350-2400fps has killed millions of whitetails. My .308 loads are built to the same specs.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
mousegun

Post by mousegun »

CByrneIV wrote:I just have to say, since amazingly HTRN hasn't chimed in yet... ALL .308 loads are light loads ;-)

Although admittedly, a 168gr .308 from a 6.5lb lever gun with a hard pad, can be a bit sharp.

Of course, I'm one of those guys who can shoot through 5 boxes of .300wm out of a 7lb gun and not care.

One of these years I'm gonna make RSR (if it doesn't conflict w/ deer season) and bring out my RUM. Afterwards, you may want some more Rum... to ease the pain. It is a 71/2# gun, but it ain't no .30
mousegun

Post by mousegun »

CByrneIV wrote:
mousegun wrote:
One of these years I'm gonna make RSR (if it doesn't conflict w/ deer season) and bring out my RUM. Afterwards, you may want some more Rum... to ease the pain. It is a 71/2# gun, but it ain't no .30
You have a 7.5lb .338 RUM? Dude, you're nuts. Most RUMs run at least 12lbs. The free recoil on that thing must be ferocious.

My recoil calculation shows 83ftlbs of recoil energy, at 27fps.

For comparison, a 168gr .308 at 2650fps (federal gold medal match) in the same weight rifle, would produce 15.5ftlbs of recoil energy at 11.5fps.

So more than 5 times the energy at more than twice the speed. Ouch.
You have a 7.5lb .338 RUM? Ummm no....375 :!:

Dude, you're nuts. Ummmm....Yeah :lol:

Rem 700 AWR from the Custom shop (first gen. ADL) and w/o scope they are 7.5 lbs. I fit mine with a Leupold VXII 2-7 X 33 because eye relief is important on this critter. With the Warne rings, bases, and scope it comes in right around 8 1/4 lbs.

And for the record, you can load a fair bit stiffer than the Rem. factory fodder. Even the Nosler gets more than 100fps. over Rem in the 300 grain loads. If you load to Sierras spec.s (Hornady is really sand bagged) you are just shy of 378 Weatherby performance. 2850-2950 fps out of a 300 grain load is quite easily accomplished. :twisted:
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

CByrneIV wrote:But the concept of bunnyfart .308 loads is amusing to me,
They're amusing to me too, which is why I load them. (Well, I haven't actually loaded any .308 yet, but intent is a big part it.) I have loaded lots of .30-30 bunnyfart loads, and some folks have sought out my recipes and find them amusing as well.

I can certainly understand the faster, stronger, longer-range appeal of heavy rifle shooting. I've been there, done that. But kind of like the airline captain who enjoys flying an ultralight on the weekends, I am amused at the low and slow aspect of bunnyfart loads as well.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aegis wrote:(cough .30-06 cough)
Is only slightly faster, and is less accurate.
Honestly? If I think the most versatile cartridge of all time is the .338-06, but that requires caseforming, and a custom chambered rifle.
Termite wrote:I was referring to bullets only, not loaded rounds.
I know the BATF is anal-retentive to the extreme, but there's precious little difference in cast lead bullets, cast lead fishing sinkers, and cast lead ingots, other than shape.
The difference is, if you sell ingots and fishing sinkers without a class 7, nothing happens. If you sell bullets YOU MADE without a class 7 and BATFE notices, they will go after you. The rules changed to not just ammunition, but components thereof.
CByrneIV wrote:I want to do that too, I just don't think the extra 200fps is worth the cost over .300wm... Or the extra 100 fps over .300rum.
It's probably more like 200 ft/sec actually. And for a tactical gun It's pretty much a given - necking down to 30 caliber is more for bullet selection, as when shooting for group, the wider variety of match bullets means a better likelyhood of finding one that the gun really likes(which is why 6.5s and 30s dominate benchrest) I was interested in it, because I thought it had a better accuracy potential than .30-378(Tom Sarver broke the IBS 1K light gun record using ".300 Hulk", sorta a "Dasher" version of the 300 Lapua), and the punishing recoil doesn't matter as much in a 50lb+ heavy gun. I will say, that there was a really nice elk rifle in 300 Lapua featured in an article on 6mmbr.com

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:I will say, that there was a really nice elk rifle in 300 Lapua featured in an article on 6mmbr.com
Oooooohhh. That is handsome. I like the fleur de lis chequering. Reminds me of Howe's and Dunlap's books.
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote: If you sell bullets YOU MADE without a class 7 and BATFE notices, they will go after you. The rules changed to not just ammunition, but components thereof.
That's an assinine change to the rules...........but doesn't surprise me. :roll:

Screw 'em... I'll barter/trade then, not sell.....or buy.