Sear Spring for Llama .380 Model IIIA

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Dedicated_Dad

Sear Spring for Llama .380 Model IIIA

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Hi all. I need a sear spring for my Llama model IIIA - .380.

It's basically a mini-1911, I need the 3-fingered, flat, sear spring.

I've searched the 'net, apparently my google-fu is weak. I found it listed "out of stock" on 2 websites, both saying "check back in 60-90 days."

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me to one that's available.

I need a firing-pin too - will probably order 2 of each if I can find them.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Fivetoes

Re: Sear Spring for Llama .380 Model IIIA

Post by Fivetoes »

I checked Hoosier and Numrich, so if you never checked there, you can check them off now. Have you given thought to Dremeling one out of a like thickness feeler gage? Can't be worse than LLama's machining.
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Fivetoes wrote:I checked Hoosier and Numrich, so if you never checked there, you can check them off now. Have you given thought to Dremeling one out of a like thickness feeler gage? Can't be worse than LLama's machining.
I didn't know that was really an option - I figured if all else failed I could try to do a WECSOG job with some spring-steel... Is a feeler-guage the right sort of material?

I bought this pistol a year ago, at a gun show. I pointed out the grip-safety didn't work, they said they'd fix it. Took them weeks to do the paperwork... When they called to tell me to come, I asked and was told it was fixed. When I drove the ~3 hours to the store, it wasn't. I waited over 2 hours for their "smith" to come in, then was told he wasn't coming. I said "write 'as-is' on the papers and let me go - they wouldn't do it.

I disassembled it and found the safety had been pinned. I removed the pin, showed 'em it worked, and went home. When I took it apart to clean it, I found the spring was broken. This was right after I'd done the "pencil test" and found the FP was broken as well.

I'd have raised all sorts of hell, but I lost my job the next day, and my knee replacement was done the next business day... I'm just now getting "well" enough to start thinking about it again.

Far too late to go back to the seller, though "lesson learned"... I don't think I'll be doing business with them again!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

BTW: NEVER buy a used pistol without doing the "pencil test"!!

DD
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

I have used feeler gages for flat springs for a couple things at work. You can buy them individualy in 8in lengths or so. I don't know how they would hold up to the heat of using an emery wheel to slit the fingers, you could experiment on re hardening. They are a pretty tough material, difficult to drill.

I see Numrich does have the firing pin.
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

I would rather buy the spring and pins from same vendor if possible - save on shipping...

I've got a friend checking into getting a machinist to make me a spring, but would prefer to buy if possible. If all else fails, maybe they'll just "tack" it back together, but still I'd like to buy a couple if I can. They're not going to get easier to find as time goes on...

DD
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Dixie Gun Works catalog used to have information on making springs, and they would also sell you the spring stock.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Brownells also sells mixed packs of flat spring stock. Part no. 025-149-000.

If you can find a copy of Dunlap's Gunsmithing, there's loads of information about making and tempering springs. If my scanner were working, I'd send you a scan of the relevant bits. If you're not in a hurry, I can post a photocopy.
MelodyByrne

Post by MelodyByrne »

I had this exact same problem with my Llama 380 IIIA. Tried all of those guys already listed, they didn't have ANYTHING I needed, not the sear or the new safety.

Give Lee's Gun Parts a call. They had what I needed in stock plus the prices and shipping were quite reasonable. Keep in mind my experience was a few years ago now, so YMMV.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Try Jack First, in Rapid City, SD. They have a pretty good selection of odd parts. Phone # 605-343-9544. Ask for Becky or Nora.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom