new 686 joins the house

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

new 686 joins the house

Post by Precision »

but doesn't live here yet, despite being factory fresh.

Well it did for a day or so, but I had to send it back to Smith because although DA worked great. SA acted as a decocker. Yes, you heard that right. pull back hammer, touch trigger at all, hammer falls very slowly. Trigger yanks forward quickly and no shot fired. Tried it 2 dozen times. Same effect each time.

Well, in fairness the first SA attempt went bang, but it was a very weird thing and was not to be repeated.

The decocker effect happened with live ammo, with brass or completely empty.

The guy at Smith said "it is doing what"
I explained it again
He said," you mean it is effectively decocking when you attempt to do SA?"
Yup.
"oh, that isn't good. Let me get you a shipping label. That needs to come back."

So maybe in another couple of weeks I will have a working 686. Fingers crossed
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Re: new 686 joins the house

Post by Netpackrat »

I think I might have taken it back to the shop for a refund, but on the other hand you're going to wind up with a trigger that's had benefit of a gunsmith's personal attention (as opposed to whatever they get on the assembly line), so that's nothing to scoff at either.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

That is super weird. I can understand the guys confusion!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:41 am I think I might have taken it back to the shop for a refund, but on the other hand you're going to wind up with a trigger that's had benefit of a gunsmith's personal attention (as opposed to whatever they get on the assembly line), so that's nothing to scoff at either.
I bought it from an online vendor, so going straight to Smith was really the better option. AND, I really want a 686, so... :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

Combat Controller wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:38 pm That is super weird. I can understand the guys confusion!
yeah. I was super confused too. I don't even understand the mechanics of HOW that could happen. But there it was. Hopefully in a week or two, I will have the new shiny, GOES BANG version back.