Something we haven't had in a while: BIT!

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Something we haven't had in a while: BIT!

Post by HTRN »

So I've been thinking about pig hunting, and I've come to 3 conclusions:
1)A self loading rifle is probably the ideal platform.

2)A bullet designed for tough, "thin skinned" game is probably ideal(I'm looking at you Accubond)

3)The more muzzle energy the better, within reason -beyond 3000 ft lbs of M/E is kinda pointless on an animal that will almost certainly weigh under 300 lbs.

In terms of SLR platforms, the AR platforms erector set nature is ideal for a custom project, with the AR10 able to take 308 and larger cartridges. KAC and Larue mags are reported to have the most inside length, around 2.870, but may not work in many lowers.

Next up, caliber:.375 and up have the advantage of throwing heavy lead down range, but the expanding bullets tend to be for thick skinned dangerous game, heavy jackets that don't expand well in smaller animals. 9.3mm, due to its popularity in Africa in 9.3x62 as a plains game rifle, has possibly the best option, as most bullets have thinner(.035 or less) jackets, and are designed to work at modest velocities.

So what case? Considering the iconic bullet and load for the 9.3 is a 286 grain softpoint@2300 ft/sec, using something a bit bigger than 308 is called for. Can't use 284 Winchester because of extraction issues(rebated rimless rifles and self loading don't mix), and can't go to most magnum cases because of feeding issues with factory mags(we could go to Rigby sized and turn the mags into single stack, but that's kinda silly for pig shooting, plus the capacity loss) Then I thought of the 376 Steyr. The base diameter is only .030 bigger. Cut the case back about .35, push the shoulder back by same, neck down to .366... Considering that 376 Steyr(80 grn h2o) holds 2 grains more water than 9.3x62(78.2 grn h2o), the proposed 9.3 wildcat will have more volume and a larger bullet(better energy transfer) than 338 Federal(44.5 grn h2o), which will hit 3200 ft/lbs with a 210 grn Accubond.. I figure it will have around 52 grain of water capacity. Add in the efficiency increase in the larger diameter bullet... Yeah, it's doable. Anybody have Quickload/Quick design to confirm/disprove my SWAG?

Thoughts, ideas, comments?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Re: Something we haven't had in a while: BIT!

Post by Netpackrat »

I'm not sure why .358 Winchester won't do what you are trying to do.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

We’ve been running a 223, with 62 gr bullets and a sig 30
Cal suppressor.

It’s proven to be very accurate. Much easier to just use a soft shooting, accurate gun, and head shoot them.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am I'm not sure why .358 Winchester won't do what you are trying to do.
Headspacing issues. Honestly the ideal commercial cartridge that's come out is probably either 338 Federal or the new 338 blackout.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have used everything imaginable on pigs. If you want to get as many as possible go with an autoloader. .458 socom had worked a treat for me in heavy brush. But 5.56 has killed more and 7.62xanything also drops them. I use my .44 mag lever gun a lot but you gotta go fast.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Combat Controller wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:46 pm I have used everything imaginable on pigs. If you want to get as many as possible go with an autoloader. .458 socom had worked a treat for me in heavy brush. But 5.56 has killed more and 7.62xanything also drops them. I use my .44 mag lever gun a lot but you gotta go fast.
a friend gut shot a 120#ish male hog with his 300 winmag. Very pissed hog not gonna die soon, so I got to stalk and finish it with the 458 socom. IIRC roughly 300 gr at about 1800fps (may have been lighter and faster). When I found the hog, it was wallowed in a depression with the only good shot being between the eyes. Took the shot from about 30 yards. Nice half inch entry hole. 2"+ exit hole. Bigger hogs have thicker skulls, but seeing as it went through both sides without much hesitation...

The hog I shot +/- 100# (same weapon) turned right as the bullet hit. What should have been a broadside shot to the front of the chest, hit him in the front shoulder joint as he bladed away. No chest entry at all, but took his entire front leg OFF at the shoulder. Blood everywhere, stagger, stagger, dead right there.

All that to say, if you want to do a wildcat... go for it, but for shots up to say 100-125 yards, 458 socom ROCKS.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Combat Controller
Site Admin

I'm a fan!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
BDK

Post by BDK »

I need to get the exact recipe, but my brother and his friends have taken to braising the ribs, in the oven, for ~18 hours.

Go until the bones slide out, and the “meat jelly” that’s left is now their favorite part of the pig.
Termite

Post by Termite »

I, my son, and my SIL have killed a boatload of feral hogs with numerous rounds.
.357 Mag(pick your shot), 375 Winchester(works like a charm up to 100 yds), 7.62x39(close up with numerous hogs), 9.3x62(Thor's hammer,DRT), .308, .270 Win, 8x57JS, and 22 Mag(head shots at under 50 yds).
I am not a fan of the .223, but with good bullets it will work.

If I were going to build a semiauto hog-hammer:

For ranges out to 150 yds, I would pick an AR in .458 SOCOM. There is a guy on The High Road called FlintKnapper, and he has killed hundreds of hogs with his .458 SOCM. He loves it. He is in east Texas, Nacogdoches area.

If I wanted something with a 300yd range, I would pick an AR-10 in either .308, or possibly .338 Federal. For .308 I would load 165gr Partitions, for .338 I would load 210gr Partitions.

YMMV.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Combat Controller
Site Admin

I have a 10.5 and 16 inch .458 for hog hunting. The 10.5 still has the occasional feeding issue but the 16 is great. Hopefully I can get the shorty working right because its a lot handier.